Thread: Europe in 1700 (Alternate History) - My First Commission

Default Europe in 1700 (Alternate History) - My First Commission

Greetings cartographers,

I'm proud to present my first commissioned map: an alternate history of Europe in at the turn of the 18th century. Not too much has changed to my knowledge except for a few country borders. The client wanted a map for their new game, Spirit Island, in an illustrated fantasy style but mostly accurate to the physical features and cultural capitals of Europe. Countries will be featured independently on cards than can be used to alter game conditions, and the map as a whole will show up in the rule book. As a result, labeling was a little difficult, as the countries will have to appear at different scales on each card.

It took a lot longer than I thought, but I think it's one of my best maps to date. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Europe 1700 Smaller 2.jpg

© Greater Than Games, 2015

Nice work! Congratulations on the commission!

GWN - The map looks great.
    so for Spirit Island they had you do a map of Europe?
    Do you know how Europe relates back to the Spirit Island?

Wow! Just a fantastic map!

A great map indeed! I especially like the land colors and what you did with the mountains. Just out of curiosity : what's the frame purpose on the bottom right?

Thanks for the support everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    GWN - The map looks great.
    so for Spirit Island they had you do a map of Europe?
    Do you know how Europe relates back to the Spirit Island?
    From what I understand the actual board the game is played on takes place on an island, and it's a cooperative game focused on repelling European colonizers. The map will be broken up onto cards that somehow change game scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    A great map indeed! I especially like the land colors and what you did with the mountains. Just out of curiosity : what's the frame purpose on the bottom right?
    The company is planning on inserting their logo there if they use the map anywhere outside of the rule book.

Don't know if this is intentional, but you've spelt 'Edinburgh' wrong. Just thought I should mention it.

Otherwise, fantastic looking map.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"