Thread: List of Mapping Software

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi,

Looking for best map making software based on goals below. Thanks

I have a fantasy world I've been working on in Gimp. However after putting in some time there I realized I really want to be able to zoom in. Right now the map is essentially Earth sized with 6 continents. It is at a scale of 1 league per pixel a league being about 8237 feet. I want to be able to zoom in to add the rivers, villages and other smaller features. The map is 16200 leagues east to west and 6300 leagues north to south. I want to zoom in to at least 10x current the current scale so about 825' per pixel but I'm flexible on that. At that scale I'd have over 10 billion pixels. I have very specific requirements for the terrain, mountains and major rivers & cities based on which races will border each other and what terrain types they prefer...so random map generation wouldn't work. I'm looking for the best map software which would allow me to draw the map but then zoom in or out. I have a friend who took some kind of cartography course and said I should us QGIS software which is free but looks like a professional realistic map making software. If I could end up with a google map of my world that would be the ideal. I'm not as concerned with making it pretty but if there were some features especially for the coast that would make it more realistic (Fractal) that would be useful. I realize it is unlikely to be able to combine any kind of fractal or other computer generation with my specific requirements for terrain. I have done some good research on weather patterns to make this as realistic as possible. I have about 19 terrain types. What I don't have but would be nice is elevations and of course the map is flat like any Earth map not spherical so that isn't realistic either.

If that isn't hard enough it would be great if I could transfer the current Gimp map into the new program and then continue to edit it from there.
    Last edited by Craig Viau; 09-09-2015 at 05:22 PM.