Thread: [Award Winner] Bitmapped Images - The technical side of things explained.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A few more with that freebee Image Analyzer I referred to (quite the swiss army knife, really!), using the sample image, enlarged 800%

Wiener 4:
    wiener 4.png

Two of the fractals (no idea what the parameters do just playing). I got the best results by going x2, x2, x2 rather than straight (the image names include the parameters):
    resize_Temp x2 region=7 regul=0 x2 region=7 regul=0 x2 region=7 regul=0.png
    resize_Temp x2 region=9 regul=0 x2 region=9 regul=0 x2 region=9 regul=0.png

And two more from Gimp - progressive resize, 800% in 20 steps:
    gimp_resize_steps.png

and a gimp plugin "smart enlarge" using resyntherizer(?) I enlarged 2x 2x 2x. The first was OK, but after that it certainly added detail, but bolloxed up the image:
    gimp_resynth_1.png

-Rob A>

And for your viewing pleasure, the gimp resynth plugin going the full 800% in one shot Not a good resize, but an interesting 70's acid trip none the less:
    gimp_resynth_acid.png

And here is the best I could do with some playing.

This was done with Image Analyzer fractal resize x 2 then a wiener resize x2, followed by a fractal resize x2. Pulled into gimp and added film grain.
    fractal weiner fractal+film grain.png

-Rob A>

Someone is having too much fun

Blog Entries

Thanks Mathuwm and Rob for those. I like that Genuine Fractals one. I would agree that it is the best of them all. Its artificially sharpened up those edges just where it was required. That really is some clever software there.

Blog Entries

I have edited in the space I left in post #13 of this thread about B&W resampling.

Blog Entries

In this thread I was talking about antialiasing and how occasionally you see the spokes of the wheels of a western movie wagon go backwards or sometimes even look stationary because the camera frame rate is similar to the action. Well I cam across this today - you will have to forgive the title of this movie but I have never seen a better example of temporal antialiasing - ever. Its excellent !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWIcVP6GRfw
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-24-2021 at 06:29 AM.

Dead horse beating time...

I think I just found the best free enlarger out there:

http://imageenlarger.sourceforge.net/

Here are some samples of the little image enlarged to 800% with the 4 enlarging presets (all png to avoid jpg artifacts):
    Default:
    Temp_smilla_default.png

Sharp:
    Temp_smilla_sharp.png

Painted:
    Temp_smilla_painted.png

Sharp and Noisy:
    Temp_smilla_sharpnoisy.png

And as a special treat, a jpeg of the samesource image blown up with the default setings to 3000%:
    temp3000.jpg

-Rob A>