Thread: Piecing Together Rhen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi gtwucla, first of all great work so far! The mountain ridges and your coastline look fantastic . To your question. I know it can be a pain to draw zillions of trees so it's a good idea to make a tree brush. I only work with gimp, but there it should be no problem to create a brush ("stamp") from your scan. Just cut out the tree (maybe "clean" it a bit with a smooth eraser) and paste it into a new image, that you save as a brush file afterwards (.gbr). Make sure to search the net for some video tutorials on brush creation in gimp (or for photoshop, it should be roughly the same process), since ther may be some settings to be aware of, that i don't have in mind atm. For more variety it might be good to create different tree brushes (4 or 5) so the forests do not look too uniform later.

If you get stuck at some point don't hesitate to ask, there are always people around, willing to help you out (and i guess many are much more knowledgeable regarding brush creation than me ). Looking forward to see how it works. Keep up the good work!
    CHeers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Wip Still going

Thanks. I think I'll give it a go on Photoshop. Looks like I have a lot of tutorial watching in my future. In the meantime, the map is halfway penciled. If all goes well with the Photoshop learning, all the white spots in the middle of the forest should have trees too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Northern Rhen in progress.JPG
    Its coming together. This is the north side, still need to cut and paste a ton of trees. I think the mountains need some retouching and go over the ridge line with pencil.