Thread: New member from the Emerald Isle

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Christopher Mahood's Avatar

Map New member from the Emerald Isle

Hello all, I am very excited to have joined "the guild" I have always been a fan of maps in general. My Grandfather was the secretary of the historical society in my home town, so from an early age i loved pondering over old medieval and Georgian maps of Ireland and always wondering why the Shape of Ireland changed over the years ;-)

Being from her there is surly magic and fantasy in the air, I have been hand drawing little doodles of maps for years. When i began to write my fantasy novel i just knew i needed a map so i commissioned an artist to touch up a map i had drawn in my early teens! Northland.jpg
    that was turned into this....
    Northland Map.jpg

I have since been drawing more maps for the sequil. I prefer to do simple pencil on paper but this morning i tried to convert to Photoshop. Any feedback and tips to making this a whole lot better would be welcomed!

West fjords colour.jpgWP_20151103_06_59_33_Pro.jpgWP_20151102_21_55_29_Pro.jpg

Hi Christopher, welcome to the Guild! I love your map from your teen years and it's nice to see it change and develop.

There are plenty of tutorials in the Mapping Resources section, but possibly the best thing to do is create a WIP thread in the Regional/World Mapping folder and ask for tips on what you'd like to improve there.

Also, I think we both own the same mug!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"