Thread: Felglas March Version 2

Post Felglas March Version 2

Hello all,

Attached is the original map I made using RobA's and Arsheesh's tutorials on regional maps and forests.
    Im currently working on a version two of the map and Im curious as to how to go about achieving an effect.

Explanation: The original map shows a swampy, moorish area known as the Felglas March. For the first go, it came out pretty good. For my second version I would like to show the lowland area AND the highlands surrounding it. Using Robs excellent tutorial once again quickly gave me a nice highland area. And Ive used the Free Select tool to draw out the area of the lowlands. My question is, I suppose, would anyone have any tips on simulating a sunken, swampy area from the highlands?

Any assistance is always appreciated.

fourgroves_sml(1).jpg

Guild Novice

Hey,
    I'm afraid I can't say much for the technical aspects of making the terrain look the way you want, but the first thing that struck me about the map was that the labelling seemed a little at odds with what the map was representing. Obviously you want to focus on the terrain as you've asked, but I was wondering what sort of time period you were thinking about with the map, as the font suggests futuristic, but the names and the subject seem more historical?
    I really like the shaping of the trees though, they seem very natural!

Jack

Hi Jack.

The map is for a game campaign set in the the 9th World, from Numenera (Monte Cook Games using the Cypher System) It is a science-fantasy setting 1 billion years in earth's future. Thank you, Arsheesh made an excellent tutorial.
    The Font and markers were meant to emulate those used in the core rule book.

Guild Novice

Well in that case it's spot on! ^^

Forgive me if this isnt allowed. Just would like some advice and not wanting the post to get buried.

Le bump.

Maybe you could add shadows or a different texture to show the height difference.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Maybe you could add shadows or a different texture to show the height difference.
    What Azelor said ... I added one layer of shadow in photoshop, with a large soft brush at 45% opacity and 30% flow. This is the result. It's not necessarily what you want or even like, but it might give you some ideas

fourgroves_sml tweaked by Chick.jpg

Thanks guys. Some folks over at gimpchat also pointed me in a certain direction as well.
    It means overhauling the entire map but if this works well itll be worth it.