Thread: Name parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Personal names are pretty much the same as place names. As you point out, locations, occupations, and personal attributes can all work to form names.

If you look at http://www.behindthename.com/ for inspiration, you'll see that many of the most popular names (in English-speaking countries, at least) are borrowed from other languages (e.g. "God is my judge" in Hebrew ending up as "Daniel" in English). Slap a diminutive on a noun and you might end up with a name (e.g. take the diminutive form of the word for the traditional Roman hob-nailed military boot and you might see "Caligula"). Call someone "Red" and let the vowel shift slightly and you find yourself at "Reid".

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you mean by the "function" part.

In some cultures, you can trace lineage through family names. For human cultures, if the family name passes through the female line, surnames will multiply over time; if the family name passes through the male line, surnames will tend to consolidate over time (more females survive to reproduction than males). In other cultures,

I know tha those things work but names generally keep within a fairly small set of meaning from what they could. I'm going to go through a name database, write down all the meanings and parts of common meanings and create a list where I can fill out a made up language's words for those and get returned a meaning. The problem is that there are a lot of names to go through. So I was wondering if someone would be willing to help and go through a portion of the list I'm using and write down all the meanings in notepad, 1 line = 1 meaning to help save me some time ^.^

Location names are created with 1 to 3 parts...
    Personal Name, Landform, Function

Riverton for example is created from
    Landform = River
    Function = Town

I'm sure there are more than the few that I can think of as the ones i can think of are mainly the same - village, town, hamlet, city, fort, farm... There's gotta be more than that.

If you want to get an idea of the parts of placenames, this is a good site; particularly if you want English-sounding names.