Thread: [WIP/ Development Limbo] The City of Blackfire

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Wip [WIP/ Development Limbo] The City of Blackfire

Hi all,

I don't know if it's right to call this a work in progress, as I'm not likely to finish it anytime too soon (I'm a DM and the map has long since served its purpose). I'm actively resisting the urge to go back and touch-up parts that I know could be improved, because I know I'll find myself redoing the whole map from scratch using better techniques that I've now picked up.

However, I'm more than happy for anyone else to use this for their own (non-money making, non-credit taking) purposes, and any feedback on what you do or don't like is welcome. There is the city map, a sketchup picture of one of the shafts that made one of my players feel sick, a "key" map related to the underground shaft doors, and a few simple maps for the layers underneath.

The idea is based around an ancient dwarven city built into the mountains, mines of Moria style. 10 layers deep into the ground, with every layer (aside from the surface) being long ago sealed off and abandoned. I only mapped the rooms and halls etc that the players would have access to on their first (and likely only) venture into the underground. The part in the middle is the origin of a river (it flows from a spring deep underground - D&D physics, why not?) so there is a giant well that runs up through the middle of the structure.

Let me know what you think! Happy to answer any questions.
    Blackfire.jpg
    Blackfire Key.jpg
    L2 L3.jpg
    L4 L5.jpg
    L6 L7.jpg
    L8.jpg
    blackfire mineshaft.jpg

What programs do you work in to achieve this style of map? I like the simplicity of the city buildings coupled with the nice color work you've done on the rest of the piece.

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

All maps were done in photoshop CS6, and the picture of the shaft was done in google sketchup. All techniques were learned through Torstan's tutorials, found here http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=torstan or on his site, fantasticmaps.com. I really recommend that you check it out, he's got a lot of excellent tutorials.