Thread: Hello

Help Hello

Hello! I am a DM with an ambitious project. I'm trying to make an entire world basically of my own. I've already come up with a fair amount about it, historical events, gods, etc, but my one area that seems to need a little help is in the cartographic department.

I've created my own world map, but my sketch is just a base outline of continents and cities. As far as it goes, much of the terrain, landscape, and other various features of my world are still in my head.

I know this isn't the place to ask for a map, so that's obviously not my purpose for posting here, but I am curious about pricing. As it stands, my world wouldn't be popularly used except by myself, but I would like to reuse it multiple times for multiple groups, so it needs to be fairly intact as a whole. A lot of that can develop as I go along, but I'd need a base to start. So my question basically is, how much would a world map cost? Many of the examples that seem to be out there either don't specify price, or I've seen some that say roughly $100-200. I'm sure it varies based on each designer, but I was wondering what a general price for a map would be. Is it based on the detail of the map or the artist? Or is it some other factors combined? I'm just trying to get a general feel, so that if I do want to request a map, I know that it wouldn't be out of my price range.

As an addition, what about multiple maps? Would each map be the same price as a world map, or are there package bundles?

Thanks for any assistance! (Hope intros is the place to ask all this)

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hey Axyn, and welcome to the Guild!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axyn View Post
    Hello! I am a DM with an ambitious project. I'm trying to make an entire world basically of my own. I've already come up with a fair amount about it, historical events, gods, etc, but my one area that seems to need a little help is in the cartographic department.

I've created my own world map, but my sketch is just a base outline of continents and cities. As far as it goes, much of the terrain, landscape, and other various features of my world are still in my head.

I know this isn't the place to ask for a map, so that's obviously not my purpose for posting here, but I am curious about pricing. As it stands, my world wouldn't be popularly used except by myself, but I would like to reuse it multiple times for multiple groups, so it needs to be fairly intact as a whole. A lot of that can develop as I go along, but I'd need a base to start. So my question basically is, how much would a world map cost? Many of the examples that seem to be out there either don't specify price, or I've seen some that say roughly $100-200. I'm sure it varies based on each designer, but I was wondering what a general price for a map would be. Is it based on the detail of the map or the artist? Or is it some other factors combined? I'm just trying to get a general feel, so that if I do want to request a map, I know that it wouldn't be out of my price range.
    It depends on a multitude of factors, including the skill level of the artist, the time frame for the job, the desired level of detail, whether the map is black & white or colored. As such, pricing isn't a rock-solid issue. Still, if you were to go with one of the established players on the field, this thread gives you a rough idea of what some people might charge for a particular type of map. Right now the $150-200 range for non-commercial use would get you a detailed black-and-white map from yours truly, for example.
    That being said, there is often someone willing to do it for less, or possibly sometimes for free, if it means the cartographer gets to train a new skill etc. In general, however, expect the skill and time of a cartographer to come with the equivalent price tag. A detailed map can easily take the person creating it in excess of 15-20 hours of work, so if you have a project in mind, better plan your budget accordingly.
    As an addition, what about multiple maps? Would each map be the same price as a world map, or are there package bundles?

Thanks for any assistance! (Hope intros is the place to ask all this)
    Again, depends on the above mentioned factors. I don't think it would be impossible for a cartographer to re-use some elements of a world map for a regional map, but as to how much this would impact the work flow and price tag, who can say?
    Last edited by Wired; 12-17-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Banned User

Hello Axyn, welcome to the Guild!

If you would post your email address, I'm sure some good cartographers would be happy to discuss more privately what a map would cost, as well as what all your options are for style, features, and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Hello Axyn, welcome to the Guild!

If you would post your email address, I'm sure some good cartographers would be happy to discuss more privately what a map would cost, as well as what all your options are for style, features, and quality.
    Sure! I've been looking at some map styles I particularly like, so I think I have some idea of what I want in that category.

My contact email would be: tingleywj -at- gmail.com