Thread: New Member Looking For Basic Program For Simple Map

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default New Member Looking For Basic Program For Simple Map

I have found the main list of mapping software available on the sticky thread, but before I spend a day or two downloading software only to find out that it is either too complex or "almost" does what I need, I would like to get some suggestions from experienced users.

I need to make an orienteering map... I have a topo subscription service and can get the topo map easy enough. All I need to do after that is add the declination lines so the users can set their compasses to magnetic north without any declination diagram and I need to make an accurate map scale..... Maybe a border and logo and a few other cosmetic things like that. Any suggestions on either free software or something that costs less than $20??? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Banned User

Hello maesoph, welcome to the Guild!

I'd say GIMP is the obvious choice, it's free and should easily be able to do any of those things. However, if you have not used a drawing program before, there is a bit of a learning curve.

I'm thinking that if you already have a map and just need to add a few things such as lines, a border, and a scale to it, that MS Paint might be enough. That's pretty easy to do. Declination lines are slightly curved, but on a scale of a topo map, they'd be pretty straight, and MS Paint does fine with straight lines and little boxes, and a bit of text.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks! I'll take a look. It's a bit more than just making lines, etc. I have to know the angle the lines need to be made at. That sort of thing. With the right program, I can take the topo map, geolocate the map and everything is largely automatic.... I've seen it done, but now have to do it myself. ...

Hey Mike, here's some other software to check out.
    Some options other than GIMP in there too.

Blog Entries

you posted on redit
    the answer is still the same

Qgis

there is really NO very simple options for taking a STRM or lidar 30 to 3 meter data and adding lat. and long. lines and other information needed .
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---