Thread: [WIP] Arkah

Default [WIP] Arkah

What do you guys think of this map? It is a pixelart map in wich I have spent already hundreds of hours. I know it is a lot for its current state, it's because it is big and I have redone it many times.

So... I never used any fractal software or something like that. I just randomly draw a map and then made the lines 1px tiny. There is already some features in development like mountain and mountain ranges, and the colors on the map, represent where the rest of the features will be.

The dark green dots are forest.
    The darker green dots are tropical rainforests.
    The violet? dots are high forest(ficticious kind of forests).
    The brown dots are mountains, the stripes are mountain ranges.
    The blue dots are taiga and snowy forests.
    The yellow dots are desert and dry lands.
    The red dots are called Land Spines(ficticious geographic feature).

arkahdefinitivechoose2.png

The map is for a forum game I am developing.

I still need a lot of features to be added, like rivers and lakes, etc... them I'll start by drawing their pixel relevants like I did with the mountains in the center of the map and then putting some colors.

What do you guys think of it? Geographicaly, etc... am I doing something wrong?

mr4.PNG

An update with the actual development of the center of that same map without the feature prediction. The rivers bothers me as I am not sure if they should appear. It should be like a view of space, and the world is 1,3 times the size of Earth, so I am not sure what kind of features and styles should I use here.

It is my first time. Any advice is really helpfull.

Well it's a nice start but confusing, I do really like the overall shape of the island btw. I take it that the brown triangles are mountains right? I'm trying to figure out your mountains, and the mountain ranges look good, personally I would place them a little differently but I don't really see anything wrong with how they are now. Save for one spot that looks funky, the area in the south where you have a long mountain range cutting through three adjacent mountain ranges. And your right the rivers won't be visible, but neither would the mountains themselves really, you could see the mountain ranges but a single mountain seems unlikely. Based on where you have your deserts I'm guessing this continent is south of the equator.... having latitude lines will help figure out where deserts, forests and other climates are more likely to go. How real do you want to go with this map and what do you want the final map to look like. Other than that, one thing I would change is the saturation of the green land and blue ocean, the colors are kinda harsh with how saturated they are.

That is one big continent, way bigger than Pangea itself. That continent on the lower left is bigger than the South America, so you can have a clue on size. As for my objective I though about doing something like it: 32544980-pixel-art-style-illustration-of-eurasia-physical-world-map-isolated-on-dark-blue-Stock-.jpg

But I am really uncertain about it. I thought the same thing about the rivers. Althought I want it to look as much as possible like pro pixelart, like those oldschool SNES graphics, so I can frame it and put it in my rooms wall. I am also planning a elevation, umidity and temperature version of the same map as this will help a lot with the base for the storytelling and novels.

All I see is a Rabbit eating a carrot escaping a dragon that is about to blow fire at it... I see no continent.

Well, as I said on the topic title, it is still a WIP. I'll be posting the results in here while I am at it.

Assuming that your map was made with an equal area projection, the size of you landmasses is 186,3m km2, made with a rough approximation. Compared to Earth that has 149m km2 of landmasses. Or about 25% more.

I'm just not sure what the impact will be on the climate. I suppose they are going to have a lot of extremes, like Asia but even more extreme. A very hot but also a very rainy summer. Followed by dry and brutally cold winters.

Is this the whole world: I mean, is it centered on the equator with north pole and south sole at top and bottom?
    And what map projection was used to make the map?

The projection at first would be like Mercator, but I am also not quite sure about that one.

The world itself has a lot of extremes, it's South pole is constantly permafrost, there is no rain or snow there, just ice everywhere, and it is unable to sustain life as we know it. On the middle there is a giant desert with a sandsea in the middle, it can be seen from space as a scar that strikes from the upper left to the lower right of the continent. That big hole in the middle is where in the past a colision happened, starting the planets vulcanic activities and "giving" life to the planet, that is a big damaged geographic area with lots of mountain ranges and hundreds of thousands of smaller floating islands. The planet core is less denser than Earths, giving it slight less gravity pull than Earth, something like 84%.

Most of the one continent is covered by rain forests like the Amazon Rainforest, and in the center of those are High Forests with trees that can achieve several kilometers into the sky and rendering the ground constantly in darkness.

There are many fictional geographic locations and fictional elements like in LotR. I mean things like floating islands and even dragons, but most of this has some sort of sci-fi "logical" explanation.