Thread: Hello from Switzerland

Guild Applicant

Default Hello from Switzerland

Hi everyone. I'm Christian from Switzerland. Besides doing a lot of geeky things like coding, I also write. A lot. I'm pouring a lot of time into a fantasy novel of mine and of course the locations inside of it are highly important. Now I'm a total newbie when it comes to maps, so I'm more than happy to get pointers and hire the occasional artist to make something really good.

Welcome the Guild Christian! The best place to begin is the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping. There are heaps of tutorials in the tutorials section that might also be of use. If you can find the time to mine this section it will pay dividends in your mapping future. Also, I'd recommend browsing the finished maps section as a source of inspiration. If you find any pieces that you particularly like you can always inquire from the artist directly about the techniques they used to create it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

Hello Christian, welcome to the Guild!

Ah, a fellow swiss! Welcome on board! I'm sure you'll find everything you need for and about maps on this place. And we are a very friendly and welcoming bunch So make yourself comfortable and start mapping
    And if you want to, tell us a bit about your novel project.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Applicant

So my mapping skills are horrid as you can imagine. I do however like to collect skills and I think having maps would enhance my writing as it gives me better control over the consistency in terms of locations and distances.

About the novels, well it's epic fantasy. Currently my estimation is in the 10 books range, but that can be taken as a fermi estimation at best. I have one draft of book one that I'm in the process of revising and almost finished the first draft of the second book. As I was writing on the second one, I realized how the relations between places became more important and thus started my awful scribbles on various pieces of paper.

To sum it up what the novels are about: A young hunter stumbles across an ancient plot to destroy the world, again.
    It's fantasy, but no elves in it. There is magic though it has it's large quirks. And the highest technology is the windmill and the crossbow, no gun powder.

Once book one is finished, you will be able to download the digital versions, including the audio book, for free and share it with anyone, since I will release it as public domain. Only if you want the dead tree version you'll have to pay whatever the print on demand service will charge for the print process. I'm not looking to make money or get rich from this