Thread: Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: Redaemus's Asteroid

Default Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: Redaemus's Asteroid

Well, after a stupidly long hiatus, I return to the challenge...

There's a bunch of people, who, according to their wishes, have their ashes scattered or left in space. In some science-fiction space exploration novels, the bodies of dead crew mates are cast overboard into space, or stored until a suitable place is found for the bodies to be buried.

In the world of Redaemus's Asteroid, it was traditional for the crew of a spaceship to bury - not only their treasure - but also their dead in asteroids bound for deep space. This was done in the knowledge that the asteroids would very likely stay undisturbed for thousands of years.

Cyrus Redaemus was the 6th commander of the I.S.F. Arecor, an imperial space freighter in the Torovar planetary system. He was not only well known for his bravery and military feats; he was fantastically rich, and had buried treasure in various asteroids floating about in space, recording the orbits of these asteroids on a small memory chip implanted in his skull. Killed in a heroic attempt to save the life of a crew member of his ship, he was buried with great pomp and circumstance on an asteroid bound for the outer rim of the system.
    By regulations, the coordinates of the asteroid were recorded down and stored on the computer of the Arecor, but with the disappearance of the I.S.F. Arecor, the coordinates to the asteroid were lost for hundreds of years, as was the chip implanted in Redaemus's skull. Redaemus's Asteroid and his treasure became a legend: though a small handful of treasure asteroids from space pirates were found every decade, neither his asteroids nor his tomb were ever found...

...until recently, when a minor space freighter came across a mysterious asteroid with structures carved onto its surface.
    Had the final resting place of Commander Cyrus Redaemus been found?

Uhm. Yeah. Forgive me for the endless storyline; I quite liked where it was going.
    I'll try to make a draft tonight. I plan to make the map feature a cut-away view of the asteroid, and possibly a map of its location in the Torovar system. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

If you search up Chris Foss's cover illustration of the James Blish novel 'A Clash of Cymbals', you'll get an idea of what kind of place I'm thinking of...

Ooooo, I so can't wait to see this!