Thread: Hello :)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Post Hello :) (help wanted)

Hey there

I'm in awe of this site if I'm honest. I've always had a history in world building and fantasy, but I am the first to admit that I'm the worst artist in the world. However, I love to write and am currently working on two different fantasy novels in two different worlds.

Hoping to learn about some techniques for mapping and such.

In the end i hope to have a full layout of all the cities and such in my world--as well as a number of tombs and fortifications

I will be also be looking at commissioning some people to help me get my worlds from my imagination into reality
    Last edited by Anna Robinson; 02-23-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome Anna Robinson! Looking forward to seeing your work up soon.

Darcy Cardinal

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild, Anna. We're friendly folks around here (mostly), so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Be sure to check out the tutorials section; lots of fun stuff to try out in there.

Banned User

Hello Anna, Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to
    Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

So--when i start a new 'hobby' i always tend to get really excited and over the top and go at it 100%.

I've ordered myself a Wacom Intuous Pro Medium to have some fun with, and I downloaded and am just learning to use photoshop, but its not easy going. I did one of the tutorials yesterday and came up with w8RpJGQ.jpg as a first try, which is fun.

I've been scouring through, but i guess what I am after trying to find is a : "What do you wish you had known?" style thread with regards to photoshop and also "What add ons/plugins do you wish you had known about form the start"

Any suggestions?

Banned User

Not a bad start for your first map.

You might want to post this and followup in the WIP section of the forum. You're more likely to get comments and ideas over there.

I wish I'd known not to bother with the atlas/saderan tutorials for at least the first year.

WhCokaV.png

Just been messing about with other styles too having lots of fun!

tf5xIOh.png

had a mess with this one too