Thread: Lines in oceans

Default Lines in oceans

I'm new to map making and was looking for inspiration and ideas from the gallery section. Wow! What great maps there. I will probably never be that good, but being half that good would be a giant leap in my skills.

But I noticed many maps that have lines in the oceans, usually radiating out from a point, one or more points, and I was wondering if it is just for looks or do they serve an actual purpose in cartography?

Examples like Diamond's Western Numeria or Max' s Telduria maps have these lines and many others.

It's called rhumb lines or portolans. It's for navigation purposes. Have a look on wikipedia : here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's called rhumb lines or portolans. It's for navigation purposes. Have a look on wikipedia : here and there.
    I assumed it had some purpose. Thanks for the links.

When making fictional maps is there a rule of thumb as to placement of these lines, if it fit the style of the map?
    Last edited by Savage Orc; 02-28-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

There are rules for placement, but I don't follow them.

I'm all about aesthetics over technicality, because hey, these are fictional places I'm mapping, and I'd rather sacrifice exact technical rightness in favor of something that looks cool.

Guild Journeyer

Here's my answer about rhumb lines from a few days ago: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=33224