Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar / Apr 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Create a Compass Rose or a Map Scale

Wip Mar / Apr 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Create a Compass Rose or a Map Scale

Mar / Apr 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Create a Compass Rose or a Map Scale

Since I am getting this started late, we are going to do something a little quicker. Create a Compass Rose or a Map Scale that people can use on their maps if they don't have time to make their own. A couple years ago the regular challenge was to create a compass rose and it was a very popular challenge with some great entries so I hope this will pique your interest. ( if it doesn't, we will blame George Lucas )

The Challenge will run until the 14th of APRIL (more or less) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass.

As usual, title your threads: " Mar / Apr 2016 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map.
    And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-20-2016 at 08:44 PM.

I've never been good at these, so I suppose this might be a good chance to practice it.

I assume you meant it runs to the 14th of April or else it's already over.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I assume you meant it runs to the 14th of April or else it's already over.
    You are correct, thanks for catching the typo.

I remember this one. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=17639 says that I'll have to try something different. Maybe an 8-way rose or something...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I have a question about this challenge. I only use Campaign Cartographer so I'm curious...how can I make a compass or a scale that other people can use if I'm not using photoshop or Gimp? I don't know what to do to make it usable by others. Any suggestions?

Save the result as an image file (File>>Save As with type PNG or Rectangular Section PNG) and then use separate program like Photoshop (or GIMP or Paint.NET or any of thousands of image editors) to delete the background. For best effects, save the image from CC3 at twice the desired final resolution, cut out the background using your image editor, resize it by 1/2 to get antialiased edges, and then save as a 24-bit PNG for final delivery.

Sweet! Thanks Waldronate!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice idea, Bogie! Simple but practical.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Save the result as an image file (File>>Save As with type PNG or Rectangular Section PNG) and then use separate program like Photoshop (or GIMP or Paint.NET or any of thousands of image editors) to delete the background. For best effects, save the image from CC3 at twice the desired final resolution, cut out the background using your image editor, resize it by 1/2 to get antialiased edges, and then save as a 24-bit PNG for final delivery.
    Tonnichiwa, if CC3 saves with a white background and you decide to use GIMP to remove it, there is a handy tool on the Colour menu named "Colour to Alpha". You import the PNG, click on "Colour to Alpha" (making sure the colour is set to white), then GIMP will erase all the background without any faffing about. I use it fairly often and it works beautifully. Just a heads-up.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Ok, thank you ChickPea. I have Gimp but all I've ever done with it was edit some black lines in some maps. I'm not really familiar with it at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast