Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Map Progress: Westrea

Hey Rickon - if you want the title changed, just let me know what you want the new title to be.

In that case the plates strike me as very small, I'd suggest there would only be three or four there. It may be easier to just ignore them and do the mountains as you want and then figure out the plates later if you do more of the planet. To me the mountains seem reasonable. As to the coast it is only slightly rougher than what would be found, what strikes me about coasts is that like the mountains the smooth coast lines are found on the opposite continental sides from the rough ones. Take all these critiques with a grain of salt, realism's nice and all, but if it gets to be a drag just ditch it and move on. Think of realism as an armature supporting a sculpture, it pays to get it right, but no one will ever see it or even know why that is why the sculpture looks "right" or "wrong".

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Changed the title as requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Changed the title as requested.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Hey Rickon - if you want the title changed, just let me know what you want the new title to be.
    Thanks to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    In that case the plates strike me as very small, I'd suggest there would only be three or four there. It may be easier to just ignore them and do the mountains as you want and then figure out the plates later if you do more of the planet. To me the mountains seem reasonable. As to the coast it is only slightly rougher than what would be found, what strikes me about coasts is that like the mountains the smooth coast lines are found on the opposite continental sides from the rough ones. Take all these critiques with a grain of salt, realism's nice and all, but if it gets to be a drag just ditch it and move on. Think of realism as an armature supporting a sculpture, it pays to get it right, but no one will ever see it or even know why that is why the sculpture looks "right" or "wrong".
    I'll definently fix the coast lines since I weren't very satisfied with them from the start. I'm sure i will break a lot of realism 'rules' and I'm happy as long as it's moderately realistic (aka no rivers going up the lands, splitting etc...). I'm happy to hear everything that's wrong and then pick what of them I really need to fix.
    Last edited by Rickon; 04-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123