Thread: Just a map that needs love

Help Just a map that needs love

Hello all,

Here is a map I have been working on for a bit. Being this is my first project, I am in need of a little assistance. I have never been
    good at coming up with names so any suggestions would be awesome! (Name everything!!!!) Also, town placement and maybe a
    way to clean up the northern border:

Original:
    map-o.jpg
    Colored in PS CS6:
    map.jpg

That is very nice for a first map!! Trust me, a billion times better than mine.

One thing that jumps out at me right away is the orientation, some of it looks sideways but some of it looks normal and straight up, is this purposeful? One question: The thing to the right of the central mountains, to the southern end of them, is that a marsh?

What northern border do you speak of?

As for town placements, I just use common sense to place my towns, where is a good spot someone would perhaps make a farm and slowly over the years evolved into a town. Where would a good place for a family to live be? Then it slowly grows and forms a town.. By a river is a typical place, or by a lake, by the coast, on fertile plains ect...

One small nitpick regarding the mountains in the north west where they end by the coast. It looks as if they just get cut off by the coast, whereas on the small ridge on the northeast you did really nicely by making it gradually get smaller and stop.

As for names, if you're really having trouble there are plenty of random name generators online.

Really great job so far for a first map, keep it up!

P.S. Check out the tutorial section for loads of great tips and tutorials.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That is very nice for a first map!! Trust me, a billion times better than mine.

One thing that jumps out at me right away is the orientation, some of it looks sideways but some of it looks normal and straight up, is this purposeful? One question: The thing to the right of the central mountains, to the southern end of them, is that a marsh? I did have an issue with orientation, I worked on this map for a week or so and every time I sat down to work on it my mind was changed about the mountains running down the center. Yes, that is supposed to be marsh. I was looking for an example but never found one I liked so.... I YOLOed.

What northern border do you speak of? Well basically everything north of the desert across the top of the map. I am not really impress with how it turned out. I think it looks really empty.

As for town placements, I just use common sense to place my towns, where is a good spot someone would perhaps make a farm and slowly over the years evolved into a town. Where would a good place for a family to live be? Then it slowly grows and forms a town.. By a river is a typical place, or by a lake, by the coast, on fertile plains ect... Awesome, thank you!

One small nitpick regarding the mountains in the north west where they end by the coast. It looks as if they just get cut off by the coast, whereas on the small ridge on the northeast you did really nicely by making it gradually get smaller and stop. I see it too, it happened to the Highlands area to the south as well. I didn't notice some of these things until i was done with the darkening the lines. Next map though!

As for names, if you're really having trouble there are plenty of random name generators online.

Really great job so far for a first map, keep it up!

P.S. Check out the tutorial section for loads of great tips and tutorials.
    **Answers/remarks in blue**

Thank you so much for your input! I was thinking about just leaving this one the way it is and starting anew. The page I used started to get a little thin in some areas from erasing. Maybe photoshop can save me? I am trying to learn that at the same time. We will see.

For an idea for marshes, take a look at this: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2013/03...o-draw-swamps/

I think starting anew might be a good idea, after all, you'll never get anywhere if you keep trying to perfect your first map. Remember to keep your mountains right side up

If you're trying to learn photoshop, go to the tutorials section, there is plenty of content there.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM