Thread: Need some serious help please

Help Need some serious help please

Hi all,

What i'm attempting to do is do a map in the style of Auth's Valcia map. valcia___regional_fantasy_map_by_thevalcian-d1y7ico.jpg

This is what I think I know. HE used a sandstone overlay to get the texture. The rest I'm completely lost on.

I'm using a Huion tablet and Photoshop cc 2015. I have a land mass layed out and know where I want everything to go.

My first issue is how he did the mountains. Coloring, lighting, ect...
    How was he able to give them the depth they have?

Any help on this issue would be very appreciated.

Thanks all.

I should have added. This is what I'm starting with.
    Angoria outline04212016.jpg
    Last edited by strike277; 05-06-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Check out Torstan's blog for several such mountain tutorials. He is a fountain of information.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Check out Torstan's blog for several such mountain tutorials. He is a fountain of information.
    Yep, He's absolutely amazing! And I have practiced his tutorials with pretty satisfactory results. But it's not quite the style I'd like to use. I'm trying to get as close to the above map as possible.

For colour on that example you gave, I would guess it's just the basic colours of the biomes (you can easily tell that) with possibly a multiply layer with that sandstone texture.. That's just my guess.

For shading overlay layers might work, but in this map there isn't actually a lot of shading, except blocking in darker areas such as forests, and some quick shading on the mountains it looks like.

Good luck! I hope you work it out and post some more WIP's of it on this thread.

P.S. Super cool coastline you got there.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM