Thread: The Lost Coast

Guild Member

Default The Lost Coast

Here is my final version of The Lost Coast.

It's the first regional map I've had a go at making, I posted up the very first draft of it here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=34117

Straight away I got some comments that drew my attention to certain details which were very helpful in making some features feel more natural. Now I've got the bug for making world maps I thought I'd add a few finishing touches and put this one to bed as is so that I don't run the risk of improving it to death, take what I learned from the process and use that on a new project.

The general theme of the map is that of a lost continent, once the seat of a grand civilization that fell to ruin due to some unnatural event. The climate would be pretty northern European, quite cold and wet, pretty bleak in all and this section of the coast is where it is the lushest due to the large mountain ranges catching the rain from the sea and depositing it back onto the land.

So voila, here it is. One down, hopefully many more maps to go!

LostCoast4.JPG

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking really good nice work. Perhaps the name of the map itself should be a little more obvious?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Congrats on your first map, and there are some nice improvements from the first WIP. Agree with tilt that the title should perhaps stand out a little more. It gets a little lost in the sea and is very close to the boat. I'd also be inclined to move a couple of the mountain labels over a few pixels. 'BlackFlow Pass' particularly gets cut off at the edge.

Overall, great job on your first map! Looking forward to seeing your next work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Excellent! The islands and the rock reefs are beautiful! I have nothing more to say!

Guild Member

Thanks for the comments! The text was something I was really unsure about but I think that's something I will work on a lot more on my next map, I need to mess around with my text sheet in CC3 to really find the style I like. Text is not something I've used in the program at all until this as I've only been making dungeon maps on it so that's my next hurdle I think!

I have to say, there aren't too many maps made in CC3 that I really like a lot, but this one looks really great! Good job!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM