Thread: Advise - How to slice a world/atlas map into to multiple country/kingdom maps

Help Advise - How to slice a world/atlas map into to multiple country/kingdom maps

Hi everyone.

I'm currently doing a world map for a roleplay campaign i'm doing.
    I have the full outline of the world in a cylindrical atlas like map. Because the style of my that I would like to try is best suited for a continent/kingdoms map view, I was wondering if you would recommend any method in order to zoom into a specific region of the world map. Basically I want to get the "outline" of that region so that I can fill the map with the mountains, forest, etc...

What would you do if you were in this situation? (so that I cont have to completely redraw the map)
    How would you split this map if you would want to make more detailed versions or each continent or region/kingdom?

Here it is the map (download it to see the real size)

Additional information:
    Each hex on my world map is 125 miles
    the math I'm using is:
    • Atlas hex =125 miles
    • Continent hex = 25 miles
    • Kingdom hex = 5 miles
    • Local hex = 1 mile

Many thanks in advance

PS: I'm not entirely sure that this section of the forum is the right place for this post. I't that's the case, please feel free to move the post to the appropriate section.

Blog Entries

As long as those hexes have fixed linear dimensions, your world is not a sphere. It's a cylinder, like a giant tin can in which case you don't need to reproject for smaller extents. It also means there would be no latitude (and so climate does not vary north-south), and there would be two horizons, one to the east, and one to the west but north and south would just go ever into the distance.

As you seem to have ruled out an icosahedral map, it might make more sense to not have a grid for the whole world and have separate grids for each continent.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 06-18-2016 at 05:43 PM.