Thread: Is it Wrong?

Question Is it Wrong?

I've been struggling with, and wondering about this for a while... So at the risk of sounding heartless, I'm just going to ask.

Is it wrong to ONLY rep the maps you find TRULY inspiring? I know that the reputation is supposed to be used to encourage us to continue to learn and grow when it comes to making maps... But I find myself only repping those maps that grab me and don't let go.

If I find myself returning to a map I've seen for inspiration, study, or pure enjoyment, then I will give it rep...for example, J.Edward's Marmenadir map. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to look at that map, studying the lines, or the details of the shore, or how he makes it look like this quaint picturesque type of village...

Or snodsy's animated map for last month's lite mapping challenge. Or Warlin's Land of the Frozen Tears. These maps won't let go of me, I visit them often.

So am I being too stingy with my rep?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Vote for the best(s)
    Rep all those that are worthy

Sometimes I rep people because of the progress they've made but not always. It really depend on my mood.

To be honest, I almost never rep, *I always forget about that option* so I am not the most reliable for that. Nonetheless, rep is not something one deserves, rep is more like a gift you give to encourage somone.
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I don't think you can be wrong in the way you give rep.

I generally rep maps where for whatever reason I feel someone has deserved it, be it effort, contribution to the guild, and inspiration. I know that for some people receving reputation can really give them a boost too and whilst I would never give it out without thought, I often give it to people who are trying new things or really pushing their work onwards and just need that bit of confidence.

Having said that, I try to give insightful comments when I rep and in my opinion these are far more valuable than the points I can give someone, to know that their map has really touched me, or to commend their effort.

The only thing that would be wrong would be to artificially manipulate the rep system. The way it's set up makes that pretty difficult, though, since only those who have been around and active for a while really have the ability to affect another person's score. Personally, I rep whenever I notice someone's done something unusually generous, offered a valuable insight, or taught me something. I almost never rep simply for a beautiful image. That reflects the way I tend to interact here—I'm more likely to pop in on a thread where someone's asking for help than on one where someone's showing off their awesome work. I hardly ever venture into the Finished Maps section.

I also occasionally rep random sci-fi or modern maps to try to encourage more of those—we get so much fantasy here.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yup, what Midgardsormr said.

How you choose to rep (or not rep) is entirely up to you. There are no absolutes and everyone has their own reasons. If you only want to rep the best of the best, that's cool.

I'll often rep new members posting their first map (well, assuming I had time to read the threads. I know I miss a lot.) It takes a bit of courage sometimes to put your work out there and I feel a little bit of rep welcomes and encourages. I also regularly rep challenge entries. I like the community aspect of challenges, as - if you approach them with the correct mindset (i.e. it's not all about winning) - then you can learn and improve so much, and there are often so many friendly interactions with other entrants. I feel the challenges help to build a sense of community spirit in the Guild and that should be fostered, so I tend to be generous with rep there. And, of course, any amazing map automatically gets repped just for being amazing.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I actually like one aspect of the rep system here... The fact that you can't rep the same person over and over.again,...meaning you have to spread the rep around a bit before you can that.person again. That and you only have so much rep you can give out in one day.

It keeps the rep system from becoming a popularity contest. You merit the contribution, not the contributor. Or rather, you rep the contributor FOR the contribution. Even if it's for the courage in posting that first work .
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm