Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unnamed setting worldbuilding (maps inside)

Quote Originally Posted by mbartelsm View Post
    One thing about your ma stands out, and it is the mountain ranges, I think you might have gone a bit overboard with the temperature lowering (that or they are really big mountains). I say it because you ended up with permafrost on most of your mountain ranges, even the smaller ones near the equator. In reality tropical mountains have little or no snow at all. I live in Colombia and here we only have three mountain peaks with snow, even though we have the Andes all across the country.
    Yeah... the way I did the tapering of the climates with the mountains didn't quite fit what I was going for, I ended up with way too much ice there. It's okay though, that's a pretty rough estimate of where everything goes.
    I remember reading an article about worldbuilding that had some info about the relationship of latitude, height and permafrost/glaciers, and I used it in an older version of the map, but by now I forgot where it was.

Well, before you start placing cities you'd have to determine the technology level of various areas, and also how they live (agriculture, nomadic, semi-nomadic). And more importantly, where there are human inhabitants and how did they get there, how are they related to the other populations and so forth. Also, you might want to focus on a more limited area of the map, since doing human civilizations for the whole world would be excessive imo, unless you're doing something like a Victorian-era setting.
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-12-2016 at 09:54 AM.

newmap3rivers1.png
    So, with some quick help from Wilbur, here are some rivers. Pay no mind to the straight sections and the polar area, those will be fixed later. This first attempt was done by letting Wilbur trace major rivers, then cut back on the ones where the source wouldn't fit my climate information (any place too dry/hot mostly). I tested different levels of leniency with the sources in different areas to see which ones look best.

After so many attempts and six months of grueling editing, I managed to have rivers!
    newmap3withrivers.png
    Colors not indicative of final product.

Did you use Wilbur to generate the rivers or did you place them manually? Anyway, they look ok for the most part (as far as I can tell on a quick glance).

However, I think you went a bit overboard! Given that this is a world map, it's not really practical to include ALL the tributaries and minor rivers, just the big ones and the "major tributaries" should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Did you use Wilbur to generate the rivers or did you place them manually? Anyway, they look ok for the most part (as far as I can tell on a quick glance).

However, I think you went a bit overboard! Given that this is a world map, it's not really practical to include ALL the tributaries and minor rivers, just the big ones and the "major tributaries" should be enough.
    Thanks! It's easier for me to remove excess rivers than going back to Wilbur after the fact to add missing ones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123