Thread: World Map for a RPG campaign

Wip World Map for a RPG campaign

Hi!

I've been drawing a map for my new Pathfinder campaign and I think the linework is pretty much done. I'm not sure if I should add shadowing, or is it better in plain old school line art?

Any Raging Swan Press fans over here? This map incorporates the classic Lonely Coast area, the new Duchy of Ashlar from Gloamhold campaign, and the Deksport Hinderlands from the Town Backdrop: Deksport. Everything else is just from my head. Now I do have Creighton Broadhurst's permission to share this, but this is in no way an official world map for Raging Swan. What the map needs now is a lot more named places. I have to go over my collection of RSP material to see if there's some places I've missed.

Any comments, critique and suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks!

world.jpg

This is looking great. Your linework is fantastic! Is this going to remain a black & white image, or will you colour it? Right now it looks very much like a map you'd find in a novel, and I'd certainly read the book!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I really dig your style ! Only comment would be to be careful when you draw your mountains, I got the same problem and some of them seem to be skewed. I think it's due to an oddness in the left and right sides. You can minimise this flaw by drawing less steep slopes when reaching the end. Keep up te good work !

Overall a nice piece of art, but there were some bits that jumped out at me:

The main title lists this as "The Known Wolrd": should that be "The Known World".
    The art pieces look to be from a different source than the other elements on the map because the linework is of a completely different character from the main map. That sort of thing just screams "Computer" to me.
    It took me a bit to realize that "The Zanglev Forest" is probably supposed to be "The Tangled Forest". This one is purely my poor vision beating against a decorative font, so don't worry too much about it.

I think that it looks good as a straight pen-and-ink composition. I'm not sure what the shaded style would look like from here. Maybe doing a small example area that covers the major map elements (forest, mountain, coastline) would help us decide.

Thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I really dig your style ! Only comment would be to be careful when you draw your mountains, I got the same problem and some of them seem to be skewed. I think it's due to an oddness in the left and right sides. You can minimise this flaw by drawing less steep slopes when reaching the end. Keep up te good work !
    You're right, I have avoided that problem in my newer maps, and will have to look if something can be done here without drawing the mountains from start =). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The main title lists this as "The Known Wolrd": should that be "The Known World".
    The art pieces look to be from a different source than the other elements on the map because the linework is of a completely different character from the main map. That sort of thing just screams "Computer" to me.
    It took me a bit to realize that "The Zanglev Forest" is probably supposed to be "The Tangled Forest". This one is purely my poor vision beating against a decorative font, so don't worry too much about it.
    Oh my, can't believe I missed that typo =). Reminds me of Pathfinder RPG's first print of the world tagged "Inner Sea Reigon". Thank you for noticing it before this goes to print =).

Hm. The art pieces are drawn with the exact same brush as everything else, but I kind of see what you're talking about. I think I'll draw them again. And you're right about the font too, it has to go =).

Thanks!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I admire your technique and sense of details ! Great work !