Thread: 3d Vaeya, 2d's showing part of the Arkaeyan Rim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@ vorropohaiah

I'm managing all the different mediums with different strategies to bend the rules in my favor.

Yes the translation from 2d to 3d will result in slight changes to the 2d. I solved this by positioning my mostly completed 2d continent to the center of the globe to reduce this distortion(it has large desert features anyways so it made sense). I then created all the other continents on the 3d globe, as I needed to solve an issue with my large scale magic system rule set that required a globe to solve. So, I've only created maps of a 2d of the first continent and a 3d of the whole planet, and then I'm planning on either doing more 2d or upgrading my process into something more user friendly(aka digital) now that I'm slowly tiring of making original works by hand.

So you could say, I bent the rules a little bit. If you design a game, translating from flat to spherical can be as simple as an equation so I'm not too worried about performing all the calculations. I am planning on using the flat terrain as just a "fog of war" effect anyways, inspired by the use in the games Shogun: Total War and Elemental. It could also be the base of a minimap or larger map pieced together by players, i'm sure there are a lot of uses for this art asset.

Also, the color of the water is my primary concern at this stage of the project. I wanted the base coat to be deep and dark feeling, I'm not afraid to contrast sharply and an ocean should have good contrast as the best breathtaking pictures from space can prove. So the blues, light and the dark, are the two colors I used ahead of time to set the color range i'm going to use for improving the oceans past the continental design phase. The initial light blue was just about gauging the rough scale I wanted to make my continents on the actual physical piece. This is a harder choice than it may seem at first glance, as the entire quality of your art piece will depend upon that early decision as it will make your continents look too big, or too small and insignificant in relation to the total water space. Considering I had no precise idea of what my continents looked like at the time, this problem caught me off guard and so logic dictated that I should punch my art. Not my finest moment, but hey learning isn't always fun.

luckily, I only made a small dent that repeated application of paint can hide!

Don't tell anyone!
    Last edited by Vigilus; 07-31-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: more content and typos