Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 2016 Challenge: Londe

Thanks for the compliments, Warlin!

I finished the side slabs, so now I just need to carve the name of the map into the uppermost slab, and the frames should be finished. Then I suppose adding some place names is next, and whatever final touches I may add to the map itself.

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Ok, I added the name of the map to the top frame and adjusted the colours of the map somewhat, plus some labels have been added.

I guess the map could be regarded as finished at this point, although I do plan to add some more labels and cities on the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Edit:

An alternative version with bit lighter sidebars, tell me which one you prefer:

Londe_III.jpeg
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-25-2016 at 09:58 AM.

I think I prefer the brighter sidebars... and I must say I also prefered the previous land colors (in #11).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I think I prefer the brighter sidebars... and I must say I also prefered the previous land colors (in #11).
    How about an intermediate version, somewhere in between:

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Yup, good call, I'd say.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, that last version is a winner. Good balance of color.

Ok, I added a few details like important cities (those Dwarven names are surprisingly hard to come up with!) and a few rivers on the map. It's still fairly empty, but I don't think it would fit this particular style to clutter the map with too many labels. Since I've largely ran out of steam with this particular map, I believe this will be the final version (well, I might add names for the seas tomorrow, possibly).

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Overall, it was nice to take a bit of a departure from the sort of maps I usually make (I don't think I've ever invested serious effort into the border elements before this map). Though it has to be said that the borders ended up kind of outshining the map itself in this one (if this was a contest of "the best borders" instead of "best map" I might actually have a shot at winning!). Anyway, I'm definitely keeping an eye out for future challenges, as this one has spawned some truly outstanding maps!

Your border elements are definitely great, but the map itself is nothing to sneeze at either. Damn, it's gonna be hard to vote this month...

And you've just given me a possible idea for a future challenge.

Ok, the final version.

I added the sea labels into the map, and I also ended up changing the sea and land colours somewhat. I think the resulting increased contrast between land and sea works quite well.

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

I like that revised color scheme - looks good. From an aesthetic point of view, your ocean labels might look better either curved or purely horizontal rather than on a diagonal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12