Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: July / Aug 2016 Lite Challenge: The Fjordenheim

this is looking really great! I love the tribal knot motiffs!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

What program or textures are you using for the floors. I can build up the layers, and I can find textures using google to render them seamless, but I honestly like your floor textures way more then doing it the way I just mentioned. My stuff just feels clunky in comparison. Unfortunately I only have my corel paintshop x7 and gimp still unsure how to produce better qualitymaps like yours.
    Last edited by Nyanacide; 08-11-2016 at 03:14 AM.

Guild Member

I just have a couple more additions to make but this is almost final. Most notably, I need to create a throne for the throne room (or change the name!) and I want to add some more details to the stone paths leading to the portico. I originally wanted to add some fire braziers on the portico and possibly throughout the rooms but I'm worried that will be pretty time consuming. Does anyone have good advice or a tutorial about torches or braziers?

### Latest WIP ###
    Fjordenheim-WIP9.jpg

Regarding the file upload, I tried to "save for web" out of Photoshop so we'll see if the color mode and file size is more compatible.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    this is looking really great! I love the tribal knot motiffs!
    Thanks, ladiestorm! I feel like your high level of involvement was spurring me on the whole time.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyanacide View Post
    What program or textures are you using for the floors. I can build up the layers, and I can find textures using google to render them seamless, but I honestly like your floor textures way more then doing it the way I just mentioned. My stuff just feels clunky in comparison. Unfortunately I only have my corel paintshop x7 and gimp still unsure how to produce better qualitymaps like yours.
    Thanks Nyanacide! I have never personally used GIMP but have often wondered if it would have enough capabilities to replace Photoshop for me.

My basic technique for the floors was to use a basic tiled pattern stock image (that I got for free from this texture site: mb3d.co.uk) and overlay it on itself to get some color variation. Then I used two vector shapes (a simple 1in grid and some grunge dust speckles) to delete portions of the stone pattern. Then I used the bevel/emboss effect which is what really gave it a 3d quality and helps give it the weathered, pock-marked texture. I was really excited about how the stone work turned out because I felt like I had a lot of control and was creating it with my own unique touch.

I also created the objects by creating the rough forms in Illustrator to cut out the wood and stone textures then applying drop shadows and embosses to them. It was slow going sometimes but I'm hoping I can keep these original assets on hand for future maps.

FYI, my technique was most inspired by one of my fave cartographers: Heroic Maps (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5371/Heroic-Maps). His stuff is really great and matches my taste so well. I've bought quite a few of his PDFs...

Guild Member

Map

The Fjordheim – the secluded mountain fortress of the Giant Thieves of the Northern Reaches.
    Many years ago, the daring thief Helven Kjilmar escaped to these mountain crags after stealing away with a rare, mystical ring from the floating city of the cloud giants. He established this hideout and recruited other thieves brave or foolish enough to join him on his quests to loot from the storehouses of the giants. After building his reputation as a cunning thief and charismatic leader, Helven named his fortress "The Fjordenheim" and gave himself the title "King of the Giant Thieves."

I think this will be my final design for entry into the contest! There are so many other things I would have liked to do but I keep reminding myself that the next map will be another opportunity!

### Latest WIP ###
    Fjordenheim-CGFinal1.jpg

Please zoom in to view at full size to see all the details!

I would love to hear feedback and suggestions on how to improve for my next map. I'm very appreciative of all the encouraging and helpful interaction in this community. I'm really looking forward to the next challenge!

Lol...glad to be of service! This is looking fantastic! I can't wait u til I can get online tomorrow, and see it full sized!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123