Thread: First Map: Val-Roren, a continent in the world of Adûn

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Map First Map: Val-Roren, a continent in the world of Adûn

First of all, terribly sorry for the inconvenience if this isn't the proper section to post. Let's hope I'm doing this right.

I've done this map using a couple of tutorials from here, particularly Gidde's Hand Drawn Map for the Artistically Challenged and RobA's Artistic Regional Maps [with a piece of the parchment coloring one as well], and little bits and tips from the whole tutorial area.

I did the landmass in Campain Cartographer, then imported it into GIMP and went from there, tracing, etc. Constructive criticism is very welcomed, as are the unconstructive ones. But be gentle, it's not even tea time yet.

[DISCLAIMER: Yes I do know that somehow the features got cropped down at Gullport (bottom-right), I don't know where in the proccess that happened, but it was too late to be an easy fix and I'm a blunderbuss that forgot to save a backup of the layers.

AdunWIP2.jpg

Guild Apprentice

I like it! Great first effort. has that great oldschool Swords Shannara books vibe to me.
    One thing i noticed is that some of the mountains have like a swamp texture on it? Others like around Adun tine don't have this, and look better IMHO

Well done!

One thing you might want to consider is to change the outline of the labels to something more subtle.
    Either go for a uniform light brown, or try to go back to the parchment texture. Pure white always looks kind of fake on these maps.

Guild Novice

Really well done with details on mountains and forest, but maybe too empty around roads.

maybe some simple landmarks such as signposts or even simple houses (inn's) or ponds just to liven it up a bit

Very nice. Adún-Tine region in the southwest could be coloured to make it a bit more distinct from the eastern areas.

Thanks for posting!