Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harpy Island and Fort

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very often, the quantity of comments you get just depends on when you post and who happens to be online while that post is current.
    @ajrittler: I find that the more comments you make on other people's work, the more you get back. Its only natural if you think about it. People in a crowded street rarely talk to one another unless someone is bold enough just to... well... start speaking

I like the map overall, but most of the helpful comments I could offer up have already been said by others before me, and I feel that repeating them would be a little pointless. I agree with you that the walls may be a tad on the thick side

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    @ajrittler: I find that the more comments you make on other people's work, the more you get back. Its only natural if you think about it. People in a crowded street rarely talk to one another unless someone is bold enough just to... well... start speaking
    Agree completely with you and like I said, I know I'm very much guilty of viewing and not chiming in on other's threads. New guy! I'm trying to get better at that! Also - my comments weren't meant to offend people! Apologies if it did!

I like the map overall, but most of the helpful comments I could offer up have already been said by others before me, and I feel that repeating them would be a little pointless. I agree with you that the walls may be a tad on the thick side
    Thanks! This map has completely deviated from the look and feel that I had set out to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I'll throw in my 2cents, the Southern Seawall's shadow should be twice that of the southern/northern terrace's shadow, the sea wall is higher. the Tower even more.

Love the weapons, awesome, wish the whole thing had the same style. Fort walls maybe treat like docks, doesn't look realistically like a fort right now. Tree linework could use more detail like weapons. Add lines to boxes/crates? Are boxes/crates scaled right to weapons? chains maybe overscaled. Weapons may be a little large compared to Tower. Make Roof lighter to see shadow?

Finer beach detail or larger boulders. your shadowing on the beaches/terrace is nice.

Color palette beautiful!, nice clean look.
    snodsy thanks for the feedback! You've given me a lot to digest for sure. The map in general isn't what I was shooting for "style wise". I had really hoped to achieve something more "raw"??? (not sure) Was trying to emulate the Fort James map...oh well

I was wondering if the boxes and crates should have the same look and feel that the weapons and docks have...kinda figured they should have.

I'll circle back and address the shadow heights.

LOL - I wasn't offended. We all know that there's only so much time in a day to make comments - unless you want to loose half your working day, that is

If the map isn't obeying your wishes (and you feel disappointed in the way its turning out), you might need to get a bit firm with it - take out the bits that aren't working, and show it who's boss by making it do what you want it to do... but since I can't see the ideal in your mind I'm afraid I can't be any more specific than that

EDIT: OR... you could do a second version, since this one seems to be nearly complete with a style of its own - two maps of the same thing, but different styles?
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-06-2016 at 11:05 AM.

LOL - I wasn't offended. We all know that there's only so much time in a day to make comments - unless you want to loose half your working day, that is

If the map isn't obeying your wishes (and you feel disappointed in the way its turning out), you might need to get a bit firm with it - take out the bits that aren't working, and show it who's boss by making it do what you want it to do... but since I can't see the ideal in your mind I'm afraid I can't be any more specific than that

EDIT: OR... you could do a second version, since this one seems to be nearly complete with a style of its own - two maps of the same thing, but different styles?
    Yeah, I think I do need to step back from this one (I had to do that on my first map too). I've been having a blast with this, but it starts to get "all consuming" (if that makes sense). I then start to overthink, then second guess and so on. It takes a life of it's own!

Oh I know only too well what you mean. I've been working on the same old city for nearly two months now, and I'm still not finished with it! I also know what it feels like to get deeply into a thing (having something of an obsessive nature myself).

Don't abandon the map. That would be a terrible shame as it happens to be a really good map, but there's nothing wrong with taking a break if you feel that you want one.

Oh I know only too well what you mean. I've been working on the same old city for nearly two months now, and I'm still not finished with it! I also know what it feels like to get deeply into a thing (having something of an obsessive nature myself).

Don't abandon the map. That would be a terrible shame as it happens to be a really good map, but there's nothing wrong with taking a break if you feel that you want one.
    Yeah. I think for now I'm about done with this one. Maybe I'll make the walls a little smaller tonight and leave it for now. I have my 3rd map in mind - I'll be taking a stab at creating one of the hamlets on my 1st map. Change it up

Thanks for your comments Mouse and the feedback!
    A.J.

Happy mapping on your new project - and don't forget to come back to this one if the inspiration takes you

Happy mapping on your new project - and don't forget to come back to this one if the inspiration takes you
    Thanks Mouse! Started something last night!

I look forward to seeing your first WIP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123