Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] The Continent of Zasháve

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

Thank you both very much for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    The climate and rivers thing is really just a nitpick, it's your world so the logic of it is up to you Just a question though, is the green outline along the desert rivers because they have a narrow fertile zone, like the Nile? Makes sense. Only other criticism is the transition between biomes eg desert and grassland is a little sharp - if you browse Google Earth these naturally blend a bit more.

Also, the rivers, are they all Wilbur generated? You do have a lot of them in the north and they're very uniformly wiggly, rivers tend to be so wiggly on very flat land, less wiggly further inland, though if its a big flat swampy region that would make sense.
    You're right about the outlines along the desert rivers - and besides suggesting fertile zones, they help make the rivers contrast more against the bright desert colors. The rivers themselves are a combination of Wilbur-generated rivers and the ones I had drawn before creating the heightmap. Most of the rivers in the north are from Wilbur, though with somewhat exaggerated squiggles. I admit I may have gone overboard with the squiggliness, probably to avoid drawing them too straight, but I imagine that a lot of the northern forests are fairly swampy, not unlike much of Siberia. Given how much trouble Illustrator was giving me while I traced the rivers, I'm inclined to leave them be.

As for the texture compliment - I'll look into writing a tutorial. It's mostly a generous use of gradient maps, along with a layer of difference clouds set to Overlay, but the exact choice of colors for each biome took a while to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Soixante View Post
    Really beautiful, I love this style. I would agree with Robulous that rivers tend to only be that squiggly in very flat, low lying areas. However they do look nice. Also, this is just a thought, but possibly the whole landmass could benefit from a slight grain, to give it a little more texture? Or not, up to you. I also have to commend you on the shape of the continent, and the coastlines. Very very convincing.
    I appreciate your vote of confidence on the coastlines! As for adding a bit of noise, I've given that a shot in my latest WIP below. The effect seems a bit too prominent, even after turning down the noise layer's contrast, but I may be able to get it appropriately subtle with a lower opacity.

### Latest WIP ###

zashave_biomes_gradual.jpg

The main change here, aside from the extra noise, is something Robulous recommended: smoothing out the climate transitions. Since the climate visibility is controlled entirely by alpha masks, it was fairly easy to just add a wide-radius Gaussian blur to the gradual transitions.

### Latest WIP ###

zashave_legend.jpg

I decided to brighten the sea and darken the rivers/lakes, to reduce the contrast between them. Beyond that, the biggest change is the new legend. It only includes eight biome types because that's how many different gradient maps I used; I opted to use some gradients for biomes I thought would look similar from above (e.g. the tropical and temperate rainforests both count as evergreen broadleaf forests, as do the seasonal tropical forests). Unless anyone has any further suggestions, I think the only thing left to do is label some more geographical features.

C&C is most welcome, as always. More feedback = better maps!

### Latest WIP ###

zashave_proj.jpg

Not much has changed here. The only difference worth mentioning is the change in map projection; Flexify was giving me such inconsistent results that I decided to try a different projection altogether. This one keeps distortion in the high latitudes reasonably low and is fairly easy to convert to equirectangular, which has allowed me to do a bit of experimenting:

orbittest01.jpg

Unfortunately, my efforts to reproject my heightmap using QGIS have resulted in the normal map I generated from it not aligning properly with the color map. I'll look into how best to fix this state of affairs so I can get some nice shadows off the mountains on my next render.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice, is that done in Celestia? SpaceEngine gives much more beautiful rendering but it's fiddly to use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123