Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to map making, photoshop and basically everything - my first map attempt

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

This new map is amazing.

On the first map, there is a lake in the middle that looks like an overhead view when the rest of the map has another perspective. It stands out to me.

Amazing stuff.
    Last edited by JCW; 10-11-2016 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice, I particularly like the forests! I probably would do more strait and sharp lines for mountains.
    Thanks. The forests are directly taken from the tutorial and it's obvious I had some guidance there. I'm still struggling with the mountains bet they're moving along. What do you mean with more strait and sharp lines? You mean "taller" mountains or more detail on the sides of the mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh wow! That is such a huge improvement from one map to the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Wow, that's some huge improvement !
    Thanks I'm pleased with the progress as well. What worries me is that I thought for each one that it was ok, until I created the next one So who knows how I'll feel about this one in a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by JCW View Post
    This new map is amazing.

On the first map, there is a lake in the middle that looks like an overhead view when the rest of the map has another perspective. It stands out to me.

Amazing stuff.
    Thanks. I still battle with perspective and miss it quite often. When I zoom in in photoshop things tend to get out of control.

By Mats
    What do you mean with more strait and sharp lines? You mean "taller" mountains or more detail on the sides of the mountains?
    Well, it's more a matter of taste than anything else... For this kind of mountain style, I kinda prefer strait lines, not especially for the summits, but in general. Your lines for the details, slopes are curvy and a bit ondulating, at least in some places.
    But again, matter of taste, your mountains are pretty convincing anyway!

After few unsuccessful attempts to create some city icons I finally managed to achieve a result that maybe has some potential. It's still very ugly but possibly I'll be able to build upon it. I guess I need even bigger resolution to get clean lines and more line variety.

I also discovered a better technique for coastlines and, most importantly, rivers so that's the good stuff. I rushed forests and mountains just so I could get a general idea how everything looks when combined and to test some font options...

I've left several versions of fonts on purpose to ask you all which combination looks good to you. For example, the font for the sea / island chain looks good to me but it doesn't work well for land (mountains and such)...

This one is experimental so don't look at it aesthetically too much Again, thanks for all the comments and feedback!

M5.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123