Thread: Fantasy gaming world

Wip Fantasy gaming world

This is the primary continent of my homebrew game world (Pathfinder/D&D3.5) called Ferrum. This is a photo of the penciled basics. Vellum is the preferred medium and will be a master map for the creation any other zoomed in maps. The first map I posted here is a zoomed in area of this map in the primary location for gaming. Primary mountains and rivers are outlined and some cities, towns and the like have been noted. The continent outline is established with a sub-continent (or huge island)very close. I have been working on this game world for a long time now, about six or seven years. I have an older crude form of the map but I wanted something more detailed and this is the wip.
    wip ferrum map 1.jpg
    Constructive criticism is welcomed as it will help me on my way.

Sorry folks Ill have an update for this one soon. I have had so much on my plate with visiting relatives, Halloween projects (making a couple facehuggers for pumpkins), the State fair and a few other distractions. Ill get to this ASAP as well as my city map. I have some ideas for changes to both and need to get them on paper quick.

If you have any comments or suggestions constructive criticisms please make them below.
    Thanks for your time
    Raven

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hey man!

So I find that adding shading to my mountains adds a lot of depth and beauty to the map -- that would be my constructive criticism, imagine the sun coming from a certain angle and adding shadows to your mountains/cliffs.

Otherwise I really like how basic, yet telling, your forests are. I like your style, its a little carefree and interesting, as if the world was happy and peaceful -- maybe before the storm -- i don't know if you intended that, but that's the vibe I got. I like how much personality is in it.

Great job.

I love hand drawing my maps as well. Just something more personal about it I couldn't get with software, and who has $$$ to dish out for that anyway when you can get all the supplies for a hand drawn map for $5 at Staples. I like your tecnique of drawing the mountains, and I use the same style of forests as well. Vanoitran makes a point about the shading of mountains, gives depth for sure.

I'm in the process of creating a homebrew World for a Pathfinder Campaign as well so this really caught my eye. Gotta love playing God every now and then. Lol.

Keep it up, and I'm looking forward to following the developement.

///Martin

Oh, by the way. Italy called, they want the bottom right of the map back

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoitran View Post
    Hey man!

So I find that adding shading to my mountains adds a lot of depth and beauty to the map -- that would be my constructive criticism, imagine the sun coming from a certain angle and adding shadows to your mountains/cliffs.

Otherwise I really like how basic, yet telling, your forests are. I like your style, its a little carefree and interesting, as if the world was happy and peaceful -- maybe before the storm -- i don't know if you intended that, but that's the vibe I got. I like how much personality is in it.

Thanks for the input. I will be shading the mountains during the paint phase. If you look at my maps in my profile you can see a few examples. I have a finished map of a zoom in on this map.