Thread: Wisterian Isles - critique appreciated!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor

Map Wisterian Isles - critique appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, but i've been dabbling here and there

For some reason, iv'e always had this place in mind whenever i think about my 'world' i've been building since i started cartography about...8 years ago (and boy, do i wish i had more to show for that long!).

This is just a quick area i always find myself reverting back to when i have no real set campaign or a quick adventure for Dungeons and Dragons. It doesn't actually have a set place in my main world map..just yet atleast.

Any critique is much appreciate! i know there are not a lot of details, but that is mostly due to the random time periods i throw my characters into (rivers/cities/forest change adventure-adventure based on time period)

wisterianIsles copy.JPG

Hi there Morgan. It's a nice looking map, as far as it goes. But as you say, here isn't much in the way of detail, so not a lot there to critique. Now that you've done a "generic" multi-tiime-line map perhaps you could create a more finished piece of a particular time-period, complete with forests, rivers, mountains and other such features.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nicely done, with good colors; but a bit "bare" indeed. I would have reduce the space on the top, since you don't have much things here (and place the scale in the bottom left then).

I'm with arsheesh and Ilanthar on their comment and I add a third critique (read "path for improvement").
    From a geological perspective, the islands are too evenly spaced and non-aligned at all.

Archipelagos either form
    - because of a hot spot under the ocean (see Hawaii, Azores, Cape Verde, Mauritius) and these form, typically, in the high ocean and islands are aligned with older to newer.
    - because of an ocean/ocean subduction (see Caribbean, Marianas, Philippines) and these will form a clear arc.
    - when the lower parts of a hilly region get underwater because of a rise in the sea level (see Bissagos Archipelago, Faroe Islands, Greek Archipelago) and these will give you a more random distribution, but correlate everytime to a neighbouring continental region.

So, as you move to add features within those islands, you could give some thought to the "how did these get here?" issue... That is, of course, if you wish.

Like others, good effort, room to review and build on what you've done.

One thing, the level of detail in the compass rose is not the same as the rest of the map. All elements of the map should have a similar or harmonious level of detail.

There doesn't seem to be a design reason why the title of the islands is on the left hand side, rather then centered. Are just those 4 left handed islands part of the Wisterian Isles?

Decent start, keep going and reviewing your own work and getting feedback so you can take steps forward.

Ah, great advice and good eye Thank you!

I've never really thought about that. I will take a look into this -- Thank you!

Wow, very valid points I never thought of.
    Thank you for the words of advice, i appreciate it!

Great advice and information guys, Pixie thanks for the Archipelagos info, really helpful.