Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
Thanks Warlin and vorropohaiah.

Yeah, the ocean is a lazy job compared to the rest - I think my attention kept turned to labels and land geography and I never gave a second look to the coastal/deep waters divide. As it is (and I'm leaving it as it is), I think it's sufficiently neutral not to focus attention on itself.

This started as a crop of my world elevation map, vorro. I use an adapted version of Nathan's tutorial.. (this one) over my global elevation map, (which I really should update in that thread).
My adaptation for this map was to use the technique 3 times, with different sizes, different grays for shadows and different strength for the bevel effects and add the results (by applying them as "Pass Through" with 20-60% opacity in Photoshop). The "quality" though, comes from the countless hours I spend working on the elevation map manually because I aim for "more realistic than Wilbur" elevation.
So the elevations are done by hand if I understood correctly? If so well done. How long do they take to do? I think it's the step that's missing from my own Atlas maps