Thread: Providing layers or multiple versions of maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question Providing layers or multiple versions of maps

In the GIS world, maps tend to be dynamic, with different symbology (and sometimes level of detail) at different scales and the ability to turn layers on and off.

Is there some kind of equivalent to this for fantasy maps? I'm thinking of the ability to show/hide information like political boundaries, population density, climate, relief shading, map embellishments, roads and location labels. Beyond showing and hiding layers, I'm also imagining the ability to dynamically change symbols (e.g. depending on the viewing scale, or even the user's preference).

A few options are:

• Using standard mapping software (eg. ArcGIS)
    • Software specifically designed for dynamically displaying fantasy maps (is there such a thing?)
    • Provide source files (e.g. Photoshop PSD files)
    • Just provide multiple images with a few useful layer combinations

Is any of this ever done?

Edit: Partially answered in this thread; Kartograph looks helpful for creating interactive maps. Still wondering if interactivity is ever used for fantasy maps in particular.
    Last edited by davidf; 01-05-2017 at 12:26 AM.

In map products that I sell on DrivethruRPG, I generally create layered PDF files, which allow users to shut off layers as needed. I often create separate layers for the grid, the labels, sometimes special effects or other inclusions of a map. Player maps for example shouldn't include labels, monster placement, nor special effects (explosions and such). I can see the value of hiding secret passages or chambers that are accessable only through hidden or secret doors, thus include solid stone (or other) textured shaped layers that completely hides those hidden places. Once the players discover the secret door or otherwise expose the hidden areas, GMs can un-hide the secret places for full disclosure on the map.

Since most maps created by most cartographers are simply single layer JPG files at final output, layers aren't even a possibility. However, if you keep a file in it's native format, for example if you're using Photoshop PSD format, it can remain a layered image. That said, layered files tend to be much larger in file size than single layer maps, which can make it too large to upload to this community (depending on the dimension and resolution of the file), or otherwise inconvenient for downloading. Nobody wants to download a 100 MB file, when a 4 MB file is available as a single layer map. So that is a consideration.

Here's a link to one of my free map products from DTRPG that is indeed a layered map allowing users to turn on or shut off various layers as needed for a given home game - Rude Awakening (space station adventure and map).
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-05-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    In map products that I sell on DrivethruRPG, I generally create layered PDF files, which allow users to shut off layers as needed.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of the ability to include layers in PDF files.

Blog Entries

database driven maps are really not a problem
    the drive space can be and moving the data around can be a issue

but using ArcGIS ?
    the 4 to 7 THOUSAND DOLLAR $$$ price tag is

Qgis can use postgis and mariadb and is under the GPL license
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    Qgis can use postgis and mariadb and is under the GPL license