View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%

Thread: Guild City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think we should just divide the city into neighborhoods, but leave it open for people to do whatever sort of 'city' they want in there, just like the Guildworld was open for people to do what they want (Although I don't think anyone made a future setting except Waldronate and it was kind of a post apocalyptic fantasy setting). Also keep in mind that we might need it to be able to expand, so perhaps mapping out a core general layout to cover the initial participants, but keeping in mind we may need to tack more neighborhoods on if more people join in as does happen. Perhaps we could also have a list of important sites/buildings people also get along with their hood (could also be random pick). Such that someone might get a university, and someone might get a palace, and someone might get a town council building.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    We should put our heads together as mappers and try to come up with the coolest city design possible. We could make a thread dedicated to collecting the ideas of guildmembers and put them in a pot, boil for ten minutes, take it out, and mash and stir together to create the coolest-est (maybe another 'est') and unique-est city map ever design (now my words are getting all mixed up). After all, between all the amazing cartographers on here, we must be able to make something awesome together.
    That's basically what we are trying to do right now, but not yet described so succinctly - thanks Josiah

The boiling pot is currently residing in comment 59, where I'm collecting place ideas as we go along - for J.Edward to use as a reference point for the minimum of what we want in the city Just add any new ideas to the end of the thread and I'll pick them up to add on the end. I expect there will also be lots more just spontaneously appearing in individual maps as we go along - adding the personality of all our individual imaginations to the city 'live'.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think we should just divide the city into neighborhoods, but leave it open for people to do whatever sort of 'city' they want in there, just like the Guildworld was open for people to do what they want (Although I don't think anyone made a future setting except Waldronate and it was kind of a post apocalyptic fantasy setting). Also keep in mind that we might need it to be able to expand, so perhaps mapping out a core general layout to cover the initial participants, but keeping in mind we may need to tack more neighborhoods on if more people join in as does happen. Perhaps we could also have a list of important sites/buildings people also get along with their hood (could also be random pick). Such that someone might get a university, and someone might get a palace, and someone might get a town council building.
    I think that's what J.Edward is considering in the odd moment between other things by the sound of what he's saying elsewhere in the thread.

In the UK, where we have many walled cities due to the tendency for our island to get repeatedly invaded down through the millennia, the usual growth and development is to place new suburbs outside the wall in an organic method. Of course, these suburbs would be vulnerable if another invasion occurred, but the people in them would be summoned to rush into the walled part of the city in that event, and join the resistance fighters...

I think I will add watch towers to the list.

EDIT: The list of important/interesting features is currently being kept on this thread at comment 59. It started there before things got really serious and we started to talk about levels and drains - and before we had over 20 potential participants.

I think J.Edward will probably take quite a few of them and put them in the basic plan already, but I've no doubt there will be quite a few left for us to fight over
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 05:29 AM.