Thread: New Cover Design for Upcoming Product

Default New Cover Design for Upcoming Product

I'm looking to use this as my trade dress for the cover design. Thoughts?

I found a great 3D artist from Spain, Luis Lara, who created the illustration inserted into the cover design, which I cannot actually use. However, the artist is changing the lighting, camera angle and re-rendering this image, so that it will use the same 3D models and background scene, just slightly different from this version.

GP

dead-in-space-cover-draft2.jpg
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well its a very good model and spectacular lighting, but... and IMHO... if there is still blood looking fairly fresh at the scene (presumably the dead man's blood), then why is he himself a skeleton? I would expect the corpse to be as fresh looking as the blood - especially since there aren't that many microbes in space for things to be rotted clean of flesh... unless this is a face-hugger alien attack, in which the alien actually eats the face its hugging, and all the yukky inside bits as well?

I don't think I am the only person on Earth who would ask that question.

EDIT: I think I would expect the corpse to be mummified through total dehydration in a vacuum - freeze dried, rather than bare bones.

The cover art shows a dead pilot featured in one of the one-shot modules, but there's freshly murdered folk in several of the modules, so the frame doesn't necessarily depict the story featured in the illustration.

One of the modules feature face-huggers aliens attaching themselves to prison inmates in cold sleep - so yes, that is one of the stories. Other stories include a derelict space ship with an insane AI trying to kill it's crew, unless it obeys it's instructions to a specific destination it wants/needs to go (among it's attacks is using the ship's microbial latrine cleanser to attack party members, so they're still aboard ship). Another involves a mining station whose owner/managers are infected with ghouldom, and now breeds the previous mining crews as it's food source. Of course another one-shot features my vampiric bio-hybrid ship. Finally the last one involves a trapped god calling the AI's of all passing ships to come to it's planet, so it's crews and other other onboard lifeforms can be used as biological material to create it's physical form...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-01-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

For the price I'm getting for the art - since it will just be a re-render with slight adjustments, it was impossible to pass up. For the artist to do something completely different like a mummified corpse instead of a skeleton, I just wouldn't be able to afford it.
    DrivethruRPG store

That's fair enough

Blog Entries

I think the border and art look excellent. If you can get something like that but original enough to use then I think your on to a winner. I also think that most people under the age of about 14 probably wouldn't worry about the techncalities of the blood etc but older folk might think about that more. If you look at younger end video games covers then its usually done with as much hype and gore as you can get away with for the age rating. The bottom line is that although it has to catch the eye, your not buying the product for the cover art. Your genuine product reviews will probably drive the real interest. The cover is probably useful for the initial group of people who try stuff out without knowing much about it. Its certainly eye catching tho.

I made some corrections in the titling, text, bottom logo sizes (so they compete less with the title), and replaced "by Trevor Gulliver" to "T. H. Gulliver" which is how he prefers his game publications to be his pen name - he's also a college professor in Toronto and uses Trevor on those language publications, not wanting to mix two very different audiences.

I still am awaiting on the re-rendered artwork, so I will post the updated version, once I have the new art in my possession. Also, eventually Paizo Publishing's upcoming Starfinder RPG rules will be available at Gencon 2017 (I'm on the publisher list at Paizo to get the pre-released Starfinder rules prior to public release). There will be a Starfinder Compatibility License logo available, and I will replace the "Pathfinder RPG Compatibility" logo with it.

But here's the corrected version of the cover design, so far...

GP

dead-in-space-cover-draft2.jpg
    DrivethruRPG store

Okay, previously mentioned the illustration of the skeletal astronaut I included in my original draft version of the cover design for Dead in Space product that it would be updated. Luis Lara of Spain, the artist, changed the camera angle, added an overhead spot light, and adjusted the other lights in the original 3D design. This is the final version for the cover design for a sci-fi series of one shot modules being written and designed by T. H. Gulliver involving star ship deck plans and other maps of my design that I will be publishing under my Gamer Printshop publishing company sometime near the summer of 2017. This will be Starfinder/Pathfinder compatible.

The artist also provided an EXR format version of the file for more fidelity to tweak the image for my needs.

GP

dead-in-space-cover-final.jpg
    DrivethruRPG store