Thread: "The Spider's Nest" - inked-in WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

### Latest WIP ###
    spiders_nest_v002.png
    Done in GIMP 2.8 using a mouse

I am at my wit's end with trying to learn GIMP and so I am throwing this update over the wall to see what comes back in the way of what I need to do to achieve the results I want. I NEED LOTS OF HELP FOLKS! I've saved links to the tutorials that will help me but become frustrated bc I can't seem to achieve what they do. I've also gone through the Finished Maps to look at exemplars and spent most of my time in the Regional/World Mapping thread picking the brains of various artists whom I'm thankful for their time in responding.

What I've done to this point:

- Inked in the linework and uploaded the image taken from my phone (see first post) to GIMP. I'd like to scan it in but I don't have a scanner and wanted to get into GIMP as soon as I could.

Once in GIMP I:
    - Added a Linework layer with a mask, set to Multiply (see Layers screenshot below). I turned the brightness and contrast all the way up and down so that the image was purely black and white. Not sure if I should have done this but it achieved the look I wanted to start with.
    - Added a manuscript texture (with a mask set to Normal) for the land.
    - Added an ocean texture layer set to Burn, on the "Clipboard".
    - Added a Land Shading layer set to Multiplu and experimented with shading the mountains in the west.
    - Added a Trees layer set to Multiply for the vegetation and experimented with shading.
    spiders_nest_v002_gimpdialogbox.PNG

What I want to achieve but haven't been able to:

- Add waves to the coast. Currently they're black and I can't seem to draw over them to make them lighter.
    - "Fade" the ocean around the coastal regions to signify shallower waters and make the land pop. I also haven't been successful with adding different "ocean" layers and adjusting the opacity to achieve different tones as several artists have suggested in other threads.
    - Learn how to draw tapered rivers and fix the horrid job I did on the lake in the middle.

Questions I have:
    - Should I just scrap this and start with a new "scan"?

Here are some images of what I would like to achieve...
    [EDIT] The artist's links are listed below. Thank you J.Edward for providing a link, and to Mouse for reminding me to list where I got them from.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...hlight=tentivu
    http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2015/05...-in-the-ashes/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Lewis; 01-13-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: missed information