Thread: Northern Westeros handdrawn map

Default Northern Westeros handdrawn map

Cheers everyone! First contribution here for me as a cartographer noob with little to no experience!
    Although i generally prefer to create my own lands for maps and world-building, I wanted to start drawing a complete map of the northern regions of Westeros for a wargame campaign I'm playing with a few friends. To involve them more we chose to use a well-known setting and lore, hence the GoT map.

The map is still WIP, but the hand-drawing part is completed: using a generic map printed in cyan ink on an a A3 sheet as guideline I drew with a technical pen the outlines, followed by the mountains and forests. For now the colouring and background are the only purely digital parts.

WesterosNorthPhySmall.jpg

It is far from being a professional work, i'm aware of that, but i'm trying to adopt the "fail faster" philosophy in my works (in any field), this way i can at least hope to finish something sometimes.

C&C welcome - actually, needed!

Cheers
    Jack

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, one of the better Westeros maps I've seen. Colors are great and the hand-drawn elements work really well. How do you plan to do the labels? I'm picturing some old-timey gothic font, maybe some banners, etc.

Nice job, and thanks for de-lurking!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I love the way you have drawn this map. Everything is very well done. It has a look to it that reminds me of some very old maps I've seen in some college library collections. Have some Rep.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, one of the better Westeros maps I've seen. Colors are great and the hand-drawn elements work really well. How do you plan to do the labels? I'm picturing some old-timey gothic font, maybe some banners, etc.

Nice job, and thanks for de-lurking!
    Thanks Diamond! I really appreciate the encouragement!
    As for the labels, i still have to figure it out. I'm considering the idea of simple text with an area of non-map around, but it might result a bit noisy. As this map is going to be for a campaign, there's gonna be quite a good number of elements above the phisical map, which isn't great for the final look.

Here's a preliminary experiment for the nodes, i'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement.

closeupNodes2.jpg

Thank you Tonnichiwa, and thanks for the Rep, although I still haven't understand fully what's it for.

Cheers
    Jack

Guild Novice

Nicely done.

Nice! I like the colors and your forests.

Thank you everyone! Hopefully i'll post an update within the weekend, but i'm kinda scared to add additional lines over this ones. What do you suggest? I'd have to draw roads, paths, and cities-points of interest. The test i've done (see above) isn't really convincing, and although rather clear for a game i don't think it's consistent with the overall style.

Cheers
    Jack

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like that test, but yeah, depending on how much stuff you're planning on adding, it could really overburden the map. I guess what I'd suggest is to figure out what things are absolutely the most important, and show those. Then see how much room you've got left and re-evaluate. Maybe even consider doing smaller semi-regional maps so you can show more detail place-by-place.

I love the details you've got going on here. Very tidy work.

Praise

Love it! Especially coastline and mountains!