Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Did I forget to say that I am... completely and genuinely... totally mad?

not quite 3 GB.jpg

Note the 2.6 GB down at the bottom for just one layer. And this is the trimmed down version I created after the previous version crashed. I had to give up with the 7 layer version!

EDIT: I haven't shaded it yet, but the abrupt edges are cliffs. I have been staring at loads of satellite imagery of a karst area in southern France. The vegetation goes nearly but not quite up to the edge most of the time, but the cliffs are visible by the emergence of the stone, and then the abrupt edge of that stone. I'm hoping to improve on everything as I continue to work on it - once I've got the hang of NOT crashing it! LOL!

Thanks for the tip with the Gaussian blur. I shall try that when I need it. All this is still whirling around in my head at the moment - trying to find a place to settle among all the other bits and things of 50 years learning

The actual file is 800 MB. The one that kept crashing was 2.6 GB

Oh yes! Good morning to you too! (Though I've been up all night trying to master this, and will be going for a nap soon
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-10-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

No problem, I'm getting ninja'd all the time.

Well, to crop your layers with a lot of transparency around the actual thing you could either select the layer and then go to Layer-> Autocrop layer. Or you select the area yourself with the rectangle tool and then do Layer -> Crop to selection. The latter is especially useful because of its' flexibility. With the select tool you can even enlarge the layer again if you realize that you need a little more space to work with. Just select the area you need and crop to selection.

PS: You will find that the 800mb file will be over 2GB once it's open in GIMP. I don't really know why that is, maybe due to compression. *shrugs* [Edit] Unless you mean the xcf-file was indeed 2.6 Gb even before opening in GIMP. In that case it sounds like you imported a gigantic layer (like 20kx20k) and didn't crop it to image/canvas size.
    Last edited by Rongar; 02-10-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    PS: You will find that the 800mb file will be over 2GB once it's open in GIMP. I don't really know why that is, maybe due to compression. *shrugs* [Edit] Unless you mean the xcf-file was indeed 2.6 Gb even before opening in GIMP. In that case it sounds like you imported a gigantic layer (like 20kx20k) and didn't crop it to image/canvas size.
    Yes its compression. When you work in PS or GIMP, its always uncompressed images you are working with. So if you open a naturally compressed format like JPEG its instantly going to get larger when you are working on it in Ps/gimp. When you resave in jpeg or PDF or what not it re-compresses the image. For work, I usually have files that are 40-50MB in Ps that, once saved in PDF format, are usually 4-10MB.

Just as an example, lets say you open a 10MB image in PS, then resize it in PS and then copy the layer into your project. You'll still have a 10MB addition to the project while its open in PS.
    But if you resize the image smaller, save it in JPEG, close it, then re-open in PS then size of the new JPEG will be much smaller because you are getting the new uncompressed size.
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 02-10-2017 at 07:15 PM.