Thread: The City of Arbeian

Map The City of Arbeian

This is the first map i'll be posting as completed and it has been an adventure from start to finish. I began this project last fall and have been working on it all winter in my free time. I really don't have a lot of drawing experience and have never taken a class or even considered drawing something I was good at. But I always loved drawing dungeon and town maps for my D&D groups. One of my players told me I should take it to the next level and learn how to make it look fancy so here are the fruits of that labor.

Arbeian Gateway to the West.jpg

Most of what you see here is influenced heavily by Torstan's tutorials here on the guild. Other than that, the rest is input from my players and a friend of mine who is actually an artist.

Special thanks to all the people who helped me out during the WIP.
    I personally consider this map finished, but i'm sure if I looked hard enough i'd find a flaw with it somewhere.

See you in the next one! Should I do a region map next? Or an isometric city instead?

What a great city map, well done! I'm sure your players will be pleased. The colors are a bit too light for my taste, but please do feel free to ignore me - during my short stay here it's been established that I apparently prefer maps that some call "moody" and others "waaaaaay too dark"

A rep worthy map here, certainly. Do keep up the good work - I'd personally love to see a regional map next!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice map! Unlike Kelleri, I'm an equal-opportunity color lover and I like the different contrasting colors here. I think the ridge-lines and forest work well, and everything is easy to see and understand.

My vote for your next project is a regional map.

Default Excellent Effort!

For a 'first map' if you hadn't mentioned it I'd honestly of thought you had been doing this for a while. I'm very impressed with what you did. I had a look at Torstan's tutorials and I can definitely pick out the elements that went into your map design. Overall very well done.