Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've also been thinking quite a bit about the pros and cons of dictating too much of the history in any one area. If others are going to map buildings or underground parts to this map, then I won't be doing them any favours by dictating the story for them, or unwittingly setting a scene they cannot use.

What does everyone else think about this?
    I don't see a problem there, it's your section and it's always good to add flavor.

I'm not sure I understand the modifications you made on the last version. To me, the slopes on the previous one looked better. It could be like a ramp, or maybe it was shaped by people giving it sharp angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I don't see a problem there, it's your section and it's always good to add flavor.

I'm not sure I understand the modifications you made on the last version. To me, the slopes on the previous one looked better. It could be like a ramp, or maybe it was shaped by people giving it sharp angles.
    Thanks Azelor

I think I was having a bit of a wobble in self confidence back there. Nothing worse than a flavourless map! I feel a story coming on, but its still in the unfurling stage - like a slowly clearing mist in the valleys. The local population will be at least 90% humanoid, which I think roughly represents the Guild membership - give or take the odd dragon or mouse

I'm still a bit torn about the relief of the last map. Now I've been reconsidering again and again I think the problem isn't so much with the initial slope you prefer, but with the fact that the hospital mesa is so block-like right next to it like that. Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about the slope I had, but about adding a similar slope to the hospital rock. The hills I've got here on the original plan drawn by John aren't actually as tall as the ones in the area to the north, and even they aren't exactly mountains, so I will probably go back a couple of steps to that slope and also slope the eastern side of the hospital rock. The road can then come up the slope to the hospital from the city (which would be more practical than boring all the way up through that smaller mesa to the south in order to get to the top level of the hospital.

In fact the hospital would be more interesting as a building of many terraces pouring down that slope in a series of waves

Thanks - you've helped a lot by prodding my thinking processes into forward action again. Couldn't see it at the time, but now I look back I can see that I was stuck in a little eddy of side thoughts. Good job I save all my different versions separately

There may be a longish delay of a fortnight or so after the next couple of days, since I will be caring for a relative who is due to have an operation on Friday. So don't go thinking I've abandoned you all. I just won't have much time to draw stuff

But I will be watching!