Thread: Devilin's D&D city maps (critique welcome)

Map Devilin's D&D city maps (critique welcome)

First my latest map. I used the Old World Style map tokens by Russ Hapke with tiled to make these.

Here is my second map.

And now the first city map I ever made.

Last edited by Devilin; 07-19-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Your latest map, Love the drawing, trees and houses, really nice jobs. Seems like the scale of elements are different, those docks (planks) compared to the house are enormous, and the Castle is as well. Adding shadows? Some elements outside the wall might help as well. Overall nice job,

Oh I knew I forgot something. I forgot to mention I used the Old World Style map tokens by Russ Hapke with tiled to make these. I can request his next set have docks and such more in line with the size of the buildings. I never thought of adding shadows thats a good idea. As for elements outside the walls, I thought about that for almost an hour and drew a blank on what to add.
    Last edited by Devilin; 07-19-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Well those residents are going to need food - so maybe agricultural elements, orchards?, some forests a mountain pass?. Also they live in a fortified city at the sea's edge, there might be a reason to protect oneself from the invaders (ships in the sea). Maybe some of the coastline isn't beach, some cliffs.

Agricultural elements, I actually had dismissed that a bit but I guess it could work. A few furrows here and there are possible I suppose. No mountains or anything near it however. Cliffs however, yeah there is something I should have thought of. It never even occurred to me to do something about the shoreline, I was so focused on the land itself and the sea it slipped my mind.

I love the houses and trees in the first map. It really sets a nice tone for the city. I'd like to live there.

Thanks everyone, just finished another map. Hopefully improved upon the last.

Also just a note,this was made with map pieces made by Russ Hapke in his old world style maps, sold on the roll20 marketplace.

Praise

Those look great! Out of curiosity what is that bit of long raised earth in front of the town in the first map? Love the style!

Huh it didn't notify me by e-mail there was a reply. That was my attempt to make a raised highway.

And this is my next latest map. Figuring out how to do the text and do the text took three times s long as making the map portion itself. But I went and added shadows here and there as well to try and give it depth.
    Last edited by Devilin; 03-02-2017 at 04:37 PM.