Thread: Testing SketchBook over scanned paper

Wip Testing SketchBook over scanned paper

Hello again,

Like the last map I posted I'm really only playing with different software tools, experimenting to see if I find something that suits my tastes and needs. I don't have a lot of time to devote to mapping but I enjoy it when I can and want software that fits my fairly simple requirements and simple abilities. GIMP doesn't want to work nice with my Huion pen tablet so I decided to try this.

I started with a simple paper map, scanned it, and traced over the basic geography in Autodesk's SketchBook. SketchBook is a pretty simple drawing / art program that has a free version as well as a premium subscription at $5/mo or $30/year. That is quite affordable over a year, especially compared to something like PS.

The free version is pretty limited -- about 10 brushes vs the 140 advertised in pro, limited to 4 layers and no layer options like blending etc.

The UI is it's own animal, at least in comparison to GIMP or PS which have a million tools and menus. The simplicity is nice but it makes the program feel kind of shallow.

I really enjoyed how the pencil and brushes react while using my Huion H610 pen tablet. That's definitely a big winner for me, even if other factors like only 4 layers with limited parameters make more involved projects a pain.

As for the exported map, I did the outline with the "pencil" brush, rivers with the "ballpoint" brush, and mountains with the "pencil" again.

Don't make fun of my mountains . I know, they're literally two lines... But you may notice, they are very straight and symmetrical lines. SketchBook has a ruler (straight or ellipse/circle) and a symmetry feature and that's how I did it.

The slight paper-y texture in pic 1 was obtained by using a number of filters in Autodesk Pixlr (don't ask me what modes I used or blends/opacities etc I didn't write them down). It's a pretty easy and straightforward program to put filters onto images. You can go from full atomic radiation to sepia to other things that I don't know the terms for. Second pic's paper-esque look and edges is using Borders -> Ripped Paper -> "tio" for anyone that's curious. The borders have their limits so I'm not sure if that's something I would put a lot of investment into.

Pixlr is free (I'm using the desktop version but it's available as an cloud app), they want you to sign in for added filters and options. Pixlr and SketchBook can be downloaded from Autodesk's websites or from the Windows 10 App Store. Do not get the App Store versions, they are worse.

My search for software continues.

...and I will eventually draw mountains I like. Just not this time.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images