Thread: Caribbean of Puzzles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Very cool looking map and nice compass roses , congrats ! I prefer the rhumb lines under the land too... The little things I don't get are the compass roses placement, the east markers on compass roses, dotted green lines and parallel lines, but these certainly make sense with your game/puzzle rules so I will not call the Portolan Chart Police !
    Which font do you use for labels ? It seems perfect for 17-19th century maps.
    Regards

@mouse I love the idea of fainter lines. That would help A LOT with the clutter. Thank you!

@Tonnichiwa Thanks for the encouragement and the vote!!!

@Tenia thanks for the help! Yeah, it looks like it's becoming a unanimous vote for rhumbs under the land. To answer your questions:

- The compass roses are placed in specific locations which create an important step in the series of clues a player must follow. Same with the number of them used on the map.

- the east markers on the compass roses: from my research, many of the 'Old World' maps had east-pointing markers on the compass roses to identify/respect the direction of the Holy Land (Jerusalem).

- dotted green lines, etc: this is taken from wikipedia - “Rhumbline Networks” - The lines of the courses for the eight main directions (or winds) are drawn with black ink (or sometimes gold); the eight intermediate directions (half-winds) are drawn in green; and in the case of a 32 winds rose, the sixteen remaining (quarter-winds) are drawn in red. The intersection of this set of "rhumblines" determine on the portolans a varied pattern of symmetrical squares, parallelograms, trapezoids and triangles.

- re: font, I tried a bunch of fonts, but felt like none of them were close enough to the originals I was researching. So, I actually pulled the Spanish names off a public-domain map from the 1700s, cleaned them up, and placed them on my map where needed. A little bit of work, but it makes it look classic.

Thank you for your questions!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

- the east markers on the compass roses: from my research, many of the 'Old World' maps had east-pointing markers on the compass roses to identify/respect the direction of the Holy Land (Jerusalem).
    Ok, that makes sense, I was confused by the spearhead used here

- dotted green lines, etc: this is taken from wikipedia - “Rhumbline Networks” - The lines of the courses for the eight main directions (or winds) are drawn with black ink (or sometimes gold); the eight intermediate directions (half-winds) are drawn in green; and in the case of a 32 winds rose, the sixteen remaining (quarter-winds) are drawn in red. The intersection of this set of "rhumblines" determine on the portolans a varied pattern of symmetrical squares, parallelograms, trapezoids and triangles.
    Yes, your colors are OK, my question was actually why dotted lines ? It is a question of taste anyway...

- re: font, I tried a bunch of fonts, but felt like none of them were close enough to the originals I was researching. So, I actually pulled the Spanish names off a public-domain map from the 1700s, cleaned them up, and placed them on my map where needed. A little bit of work, but it makes it look classic.
    A hard work and looking very nice you did here !