Thread: New and Feeling Overwhelmed

Post New and Feeling Overwhelmed

Hi all

I'm in the process of building a fantasy world for my novel and found this link as a reference and after looking at some of the maps you all have built, all I can say is...I'm overwhelmed. The maps I've seen are gorgeous and my first attempt at a map (which I'm having to revise owing to a logic flaw in how I set my world up) was really pretty basic. I don't know if I can learn all of this.

I know a little bit about how to use PSE for editing photos, but I understand map-making is a whole different beast.

At any rate, if someone can point to a tutorial for an absolute newb, I'd very much appreciate it!

~tbgg

Hi tbgg and welcome to the Guild.

Don't be overwhelmed. There are a number of professional artists posting here, who make their living doing this kind of thing. And then there are the rest of us mere mortals...

We've got an area dedicated to Tutorials that you might enjoy browsing. This comment is a good summary to start off. Additionally, there are downloadable PDF tutorials in this thread.

I hope you can find a suitable tutorial to get going, but if you need advice on something specific, don't hesitate to ask.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome to the guild! I'm looking forward to seeing your maps.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hey tbgg

There are no goals or targets here, whereby you either 'fail' or 'succeed' - not unless you choose to set them for yourself. Even the Challenges are more of a game than a serious competition.

Just have fun - play, and maybe learn something now and then.

Looking forward to seeing your work

Happy Mapping