Thread: Board game map

Default Board game map

I keep coming across posts on the BoardGameGeek as well as DeviantArt recommending the Cartographer's Guild, so it was time to register here. Hello everyone!

Currently I am prototyping a board game (styled after Ticket To Ride) to play with my family. Not being an artist, my Photoshop skills only go so far. In fact this is how far they go:
    DIgtMoG.jpg

The above image shows roughly what I am looking for, except that it is lacking cohesion. This should be a map of Mars with potential rail road (monorail) tracks. Various locations (cities / domes/ whathaveyou) need to be color coded (red, green, blue, and yellow wooden cubes get placed on the matching location). Thematically it would be easy to go with a Steampunk design and put gears everywhere, but I feel that has been overdone; a more generic futuristic theme might be better. What does a futuristic map look like? Does it need to have scanlines?

Because this is a hobby project and not a commercial one I cannot offer any real commission. But if creating a board game map sounds like an interesting challenge to you, please let me know. My email address is grubertmathotmail.com

This actually looks pretty nice. It is not worse than the original map and i woud not be surprised if it would be out as an original game expansion board. The only issue with the current board i see is somehow difficult to read points. Iwould advice to try different colour, more bright, or a solid stroke around.