That's very interesting idea.

But what is about Egypt? As far as I know, it was not ruled by Carthage or Rome at the time of the Punic wars. Rome eventually captured it, but I would not be so sure, if Carthage would be equally capable.

Also, since Carthage was more focused on trade, it would probably not even have taken hold of larger territories outside of its mainlands but rather established cities that served as trading centers. In some locations it would probably have made sense to capture the surrounding land as well, but that depends on the technological standard of the local civilization. I am certainly no expert on this matter and I don't know the technological standards of the various regions at the time. But I know that the expansion of the roman empire stopped not because of military reasons but because it just did not make sense to conquer under developed terrain. Still, in some cases Rome did conquer territories that were under developed from a Roman point of view, but these conquests were usually driven by domestic political reasons (ambitious Generals - yes, Iulius I'm talking about you - had to make a mark) than a thoughtful strategy on expansion.