Thread: (WIP) Arch City of Nessa'Mor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey XCali

Its all looking really good.

I like the way you've done the rooftops and left the detail of the buildings nice and clean so we can still see all the details you have drawn on them.

With the labelling its always a matter of taste and personal style, so in a sense we are all experimenting all the time. The thing to do if you don't feel entirely comfortable with the way something has turned out, then try a few different variations (remembering to save each one under a different filename).

With my personal taste I would probably leave the circles around the numbers on the map white or cream, so that they stand out as being separated from the map. They blend rather a lot with it right now, but they are still legible. Its up to you to decide how much you want them to stand out.

With the legend I only have two suggestions. The first is to make number 1 'Entrance to the inner city', rather than just 'to the inner city'. The second is to use a space either side of the hyphen, so that all the lines of the legend have the same format. At the moment you have irregular spacing on those lines with the hyphen sometimes being spaced, and sometimes not.

I hope that helps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey XCali

Its all looking really good.

I like the way you've done the rooftops and left the detail of the buildings nice and clean so we can still see all the details you have drawn on them.

With the labelling its always a matter of taste and personal style, so in a sense we are all experimenting all the time. The thing to do if you don't feel entirely comfortable with the way something has turned out, then try a few different variations (remembering to save each one under a different filename).

With my personal taste I would probably leave the circles around the numbers on the map white or cream, so that they stand out as being separated from the map. They blend rather a lot with it right now, but they are still legible. Its up to you to decide how much you want them to stand out.

With the legend I only have two suggestions. The first is to make number 1 'Entrance to the inner city', rather than just 'to the inner city'. The second is to use a space either side of the hyphen, so that all the lines of the legend have the same format. At the moment you have irregular spacing on those lines with the hyphen sometimes being spaced, and sometimes not.

I hope that helps
    Thanks!
    I have to say, I'm liking the buildings the way they are now too. (Though admittingly, I'm unsure how I got the redbrown effect like that. Hehe, I wrote down the basics of it, but when I tried recreating it today, I got close but not entirely the same. But it is just a little snag. )

This really got me thinking, so thank you.

I'm still not sure what would work best... There are some really beloved fantasy maps out there that have the labels close by. And then there are maps with circle icons with numbers that works quite nicely.

I'll try as many as necessary versions before I settle with one. This ATTEMPT has TWO parts.
    1. The labels close by. (How's the legibility? -even though it is the lower res 2k version.)
    2. The legend on the Nessa'Mor bar. (Though I'm pondering if I should leave the bar out altogether and just have the names on the map.)

Maybe I'd have two versions of the map. The label-light one and the DM/GM label-heavy version. What do you guys think?

Nessa'Mor_LegendAttempt2_ByOmriHope.jpeg

*I have an additional question. I'm starting to think about the border, but let's say, as a start, I create a bottom layer with a nice paper texture maybe, how do you center the map image perfectly to that layer? (Hope the question makes sense.)

Have a lovely day,
    Last edited by XCali; 05-28-2017 at 02:56 PM.