Thread: rescale an imported heightmap in wilbur?

Default rescale an imported heightmap in wilbur?

Hello , I have a fractal terrain-photosho- whateverelse edited map in wilbur with correct seaborders and so on ...

I have exported theheightmap to add furhter and better detail to the mountains and terrains , I exported so the heightmap from wilbur, photoshopped and reimported in wilbur, but when I reimport the height range goes from 0 to 65k ....

78ad33214069a883948e19b84d2e3f5d.png

Here you can see on top the actual terrain how and where should have the seaborder and bottom the newly imported terrain.

I tried to first scale the second map to the same height ranges of the above one , but I got incorrect seaborders, so I tried summing both the top and bottom maximum values of the correct map and then applied the scale from 0 to that value in wilbur , then I offsetted of the lowest value from the top map ... but again incorrect sea borders...

Now I want to specify that I haven't touched the sea borders in the photoshop editing , so how can I do to retrieve the correct seaborders?

Saving as a 16-bit PNG from Wilbur always rescales the data from 0 to 65536 to preserve the maximum amount of information. You can rescale to your original altitude range in Wilbur by using the Filter>>Mathematical>>Span tool and entering your original high and low altitudes.

I suppose if I got really not-lazy that I could save a custom chunk in the PNG with the original min and max values, but that seems hard. Plus, I don't know if Photoshop would keep the custom chunk across invocations.

Blog Entries

i just save the heightmaps as a *.bt ( binary terrain ) format
    it is a 32bit float , then use GDAL to convert that to a 32 bit tiff to work on

this keeps the Min / Max height information intact
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Ok thanks.